Are You Stable?

Hazel, are you stable?

Please pick up the fucking phone

Why're you MIA? Yea

Don't want you to be alone when you miss me

Just call me back

The tune plays in the back of your mind as you sit at one of the tables in the bunker staring at your phone. The boys had been gone for days and you had finally gotten a hold of Sam asking for a status report. He said that they were busy chasing down a lead and that he would call you back, but that had been hours ago. Sitting in the chair is making you anxious so you stand up and begin to pace back and forth glancing at your phone every few seconds to make sure it's not ringing without you noticing.

"You seem tense." The voice comes from entirely too close for your comfort and you nearly jump out of your skin.

"Dammit Cas, you can't sneak up on me like that. You know it scares me half to death." He doesn't say anything as he walks up beside you and stares at your phone sitting on the table.

"My apologies, I always forget that you humans are so easily frightened. Why are you staring at your cell phone with such intent?"

"I'm waiting for the boys to call. Sam said he would call me but it's been hours so I'm starting to get worried but I know how they are. They probably just got on a lead and forgot to call back." Your phone jumps to life and Sam's ringtone plays out. You leap for the phone and answer it in a hurry. "There you are! You were starting to worry me!" You put the phone on speaker and set it back down on the table. Sam chuckles lightly.

"Sorry, we got caught up on a lead and Dean dragged me all over the place until we tracked down the creature we were looking for. Turns out it was a shapeshifter, it was nasty as shit." Dean's muffled voice comes from the background and Sam tells you to hang on while he puts it on speaker.

"Hey baby." His voice is like a soother to all your worries. The anxiety that was creeping up your chest recedes slightly. "We got this case all wrapped up and we're heading your way ok? I could tell you were freaking out when Sam answered the phone. We're alright. Just a few bumps and bruises, but we're checking out of the motel right now and headed back to Kansas. We'll see you soon." Sam murmurs something and the hotel door shuts. "I love you baby." Your cheeks heat up and your pulse quickens.

"I love you too D. Swiftly but safely please."

"Always." He hangs up the phone and you blush even harder knowing that Cas was standing there for the entire exchange.

"I will leave you to it." Cas monotones and a gust of wind denotes his departure. You wander down the steps further into the bunker headed for your bedroom. There's this digging pain in your chest and you know it's the anxiety that they won't ever make it home. You try and calm yourself with some breathing exercises. The anxiety rises higher and you can feel the panic in your throat. The panic attack is coming and there's nothing you can do to stop it. The only thing you can do is ride it out and try to make it out ok on the other side. The boys weren't very far from the Kansas border. They'll be here in a couple hours. It's fine, we're ok, and they're ok. That does nothing to soothe you. You fall into bed curling up underneath your favorite blanket hyperventilating slightly as you try to reign in the panic.

"Baby?" The voice pulls you out of your daze. You don't even sit up to acknowledge the person that has just walked into your room. You just curl up tighter under your blanket and there's a small sigh from outside the shelter of the fabric. "I'm right here darling. I'm alive and breathing. I know that you had a panic attack. I can tell and there's no need to be ashamed. I just wanna make sure you're ok." You peek your eyes out from under the blanket and Dean is right there kneeling next to the bed. His smile is gentle and he runs a hand over your head playing with your hair.

"Hi D." Your voice is a quiet whisper. He kisses your forehead and sits down on the bed next to you kicking off his boots. You scoot over so there's enough room for him and he lays down facing you. " 'm sorry. I'm not exactly stable...." You trail off looking down at the sheets. Dean gives a soft laugh and pulls you in close. His smell washes over you in waves of comfort. Gunpowder, gasoline, and that musk that's only unique to him.

"None of us are darling. As long as you're here and I'm here. We'll be ok."