In Bitter Memoriam

I hope you enjoy this. This is probably one of the longest things I've ever written. Grab a snack and snag a bottle of water. You're gonna be here for a while. Enjoy. ~ MDM (He/They)

You had finally convinced the boys to get a Netflix subscription. You cajole them until they sit down for a movie with you. Selecting Bird Box, you snuggle into the blanket and prepare yourself for a show. Not even 30 minutes later, the same Winchesters who didn't want anything to do with the movie are sitting on the edge of their seats. Dean's eyes are wide and he's been totally captured by the film. He's rigid and almost seems to stop breathing at certain points and when the movie is over all of the tension floods out of him.

"You ok over there Deano?" He just stares at the credits rolling with his mouth slightly agape.

"I can't believe that happened. That entire movie was a fucking rollercoaster." You grin at him and switch the TV off. The single lamp that illuminates the room casts light onto Dean's outline. The dark shadow of him portrays his psyche and state of mind perfectly. Sam flips the light switch and the sudden brightness makes your eyes water. The three of you begin to clean the remnants of movie time snacks and Sam says good night. Dean's eyes are vacant as the two of you get ready for bed.

"Dean, are you ok? That movie didn't give you flashbacks or anything, right?" His soul seems to snap back into his body and he looks at you.

"It reminded me of how little dad did for us when Sammy and I were super little. I was the one stealing and fighting and scratching to provide for that kid. Dad would have up and abandoned us if we were those people in the movie. That's all." You card your fingers through his hair and he rests his head on your shoulder. You rub a hand up and down his back. The muscles in his shoulders relax and he practically sinks into you.

"Your dad is where he belongs, Dean. Don't let that get to you. You've got me and you've got Sammy." He sighs heavily and lifts his head from your shoulder. You give him a small smile and cup his cheek. He turns his head and kisses your palm.

"Time for bed. I think Sammy's got a lead on a hunt we can check out tomorrow." You both climb into bed and Dean falls asleep clinging to your hand like a scared child.

The next day brings a long road trip across the states. Headed for a little town in New Jersey, Sam gives you the rundown on what you'll be looking into.

"New Jersey? If you tell me we're going after the Jersey Devil, I'm getting out of this car." Sam arches an eyebrow.

"We're in a moving car."

"Don't threaten me with a good time Sammy." Dean catches your eye in the rearview mirror and you share a look. He chuckles and gives Sam an elbow.

"Lighten up dude. Tell us what we've got and quit being an ass." Sam explains the case and you sit back to ponder the details. This sounds like something straight out of one of those supernatural tv shows. Something like Ghost Adventures except these things are actually killing people instead of scaring the bejesus out of Zak Bagans. The Impala stops outside of a spooky abandoned house and Dean turns the car off.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me. This is what we're investigating? God, somebody call the Ghostbusters. The cliché is too much." The three of you get out and begin to gear up. Sam mimes wrappings his fingers around your throat and you laugh. The trunk creaks open and it's time to gear up. Guns are checked, loaded, and holstered. Flashlights come out and are checked. Pockets loaded with spare ammo and pouches of salt.

The porch steps scream underneath your feet and the sound is piercing in the quiet. You swivel your head, looking, because it's suddenly gotten deadly silent. No birds singing and no leaves rustling. Freaky. The three of you stack up at the front door and Dean's hand lands on the knob. Sam holds up three fingers and slowly counts down. When he reaches zero Dean flings open the door. You and Sam sweep inward checking every corner. Waving Dean forward, you check a side room. It appears to have once been the kitchen.