Ghost In The Headlights

You've reached my voicemail. You either know who I am or are hopelessly confused. Leave your name and number at the tone. BEEP

"Hey sweetheart, just wanted to let you know that we're on our way back from the hunt. It turns out it was a ghoul. Nothing unusual. Love you bye." Dean hangs up his phone and tries to avoid Sam's knowing grin.

"It hurts you inside to be all chick flick moment in front of me doesn't it?" Dean says nothing, giving Sam a dirty side eye and flicking his eyes back to the road. Both the brothers eyes go wide and Dean slams both feet on the brake pedal. The Impala screeches to an abrupt halt and both brothers leap out of the vehicle. Their forms cast dark shadows in the headlights as they stare at the apparition in the road.

The apparition's head tilts to the side and it seems to stride closer to the brothers. Dean's hand slides to his waistband, but Sam gestures for him to stand down and points at the approaching figure.

You give Dean a broad smile and your eyes crinkle at the corners with delight.

"Hey handsome! Why are you looking at me like that?"

Dean's face drains of blood and he swallows. He runs a hand through his hair, his face a mask of despair.

"You're a ghost." The words leave him in a whisper and Sam gives him an awkward pat on the shoulder. You give him your best bitchface and look at him like he's just disavowed pie.

"The hell are you on about D? I'm no ghost! I'm me!" You look down at your body and the brothers can tell when it hits you that you're dead. You sink to your knees and stare at your transparent hands in horror. Dean takes a hesitant step forward and sinks down next to you. He reaches out, but hesitates. His hand sweeps through your form and a chill spreads across his skin. "I remember only one thing. All I can see is the sick smile on Cain's face as he twisted the blade in my heart."

"He'll pay. That's a promise. We'll give you a hunter's funeral. Let you rest. And then we'll kill that son of a bitch."