Sand Slips Through Your Fingers

This one is long as fuck and I enjoyed writing it thoroughly. So you're welcome. ~ Magnus (He/They)

The crash of the waves is loud in your ears as you balance on your board. The spray of the sea stings your eyes and makes your tongue tingle with its salty taste. You navigate your way back to the beach. Standing on the beach ocean water drips into your eyes and runs in rivulets down your body. The wind whips up suddenly and you're not looking through a curtain of hair anymore but into the apple eyes of a gorgeous stranger.

"Good waves today?" The man is holding the leash of a beautiful dog. A Golden Retriever by the looks of it. He looks like he might know a thing or two about surfing so you bob your head in the affirmative.

"They weren't too shabby. Could've sworn I seen a shark though. Great white probably." His face pales at that and his knuckles whiten as he tightens his grip on the leash. Your grin makes him realize that you're just playing and he lets out a loud breath.

"You know it's not kind to pull that serious of a prank on someone who you don't even know their name." You consider this as you pull the leg rope from your ankle. Yanking at the zipper across your chest you concede that he might have a point. You catch him staring at your bare chest once you've gotten the wetsuit off your shoulders and down around your waist, but you pretend not to notice. It's nice to be admired by a handsome man when you don't really have any human contact.

"Alright then stranger. What do people call you and your gorgeous companion?" His sandy haired head dips down as he looks down at his faithful canine companion. The dog's tail swishes causing some sand to kick up and he gives the dog a scratch behind the ears.

"I'm Dean Winchester and this old boy is Aries." Aries looks up at his name and gives an excited bark. That gets him another scratch and he seems to settle down. "I don't know that I've ever seen you before, but that's not really saying much. I just moved to the island with my brother and good old Aries here."

"Well welcome to paradise. People around here call me Spartan. Some words of advice for you from someone who's been living here their whole life. Watch out for the local wildlife, some of them aren't so friendly as they appear and stay away from the banana plantation if you value your life. The corporations will definitely shoot you to protect their precious products. " Dean raises his eyebrow at this.

"Is your name actually Spartan?" You shake your head and begin wiggling your way out of the rest of the suit. You explain to him that any surfer worth their salt eventually earns a nickname. You collapse onto the sand to dry out and dig something out of your cooler. You offer him a beer out of the plastic contraption and he accepts. He sits down on the other side and Aries takes up a spot beside him. He cracks open his beverage and listens intently as you tell the story of how you acquired your nickname.

Several beers later you both are feeling a little warmer inside and a lot more encouraged. He gestures towards your board with his half empty bottle.

"Care if I give it a try?" You look at him with an eyebrow raised. Giving him an appraising up down you shrug your shoulders and take a long pull of your beer.

"You're not even remotely dressed correctly, but if you don't care to strip down to your unders in front of a stranger go right ahead." He stands leaving his bottle perched on the edge of the cooler. You watch this gorgeous man strip down to just his boxers and it's everything you can do to not drool. Everything about him is sculpted and chiseled in all the right places. You show him the proper way to attach the leg rope and give him the basics on how to surf. Aries comes up next to you and whines slightly staring out at his master who is headed for the waves.

"Listen buddy I am most definitely staring at your owner's ass but that doesn't mean anything. He just has a nice ass." The dog, of course, doesn't say anything and his tail swishes as you scratch him. You watch Dean try so hard and fail numerous times to catch a wave. You return to your spot and continue to drink. He finally manages to maintain steady legs on the board and catches a tiny wave. You give him a hoot of approval and a round of applause. He washes himself onto shore and gives a short bow. The water runs off of him and you can't help but stare.

"Keep my beer safe for me Aries?" Aries woofs in agreement and he gets a scratch for it. Dean picks up his semi-warm beer and chugs the rest of it. Dean points to a towel that's sticking out of your bag and you wave for him to go ahead. He begins to towel off and you sneak glances out of the corner of your eye. You dig the last beer out of the cooler and twist the top off of it. He collapses into the sand next to you and snatches the cold drink right out of your hand.

"You know for a stranger you're pretty familiar with stealing other people's drinks. That was my last beer you jerk." You say this with a light tone to let him know that you're joking and he grins like an idiot at you.

"I'm in my underwear, sitting dripping wet on a beach with you and your concern is your precious beer. How dare you." His phone begins to ring and he reaches across you for it. His skin smells of saltwater and his breath smells like spearmint. He picks it up and his face pales slightly when he sees whoever is on the caller ID.

"Hey Sammy." You can hear vague shouting from the other end of the line and Dean winces holding the phone away from his ear. "Yea I know. I met someone at the beach and he was teaching me to surf." He pleads with his eyes for your help and you shake your head at him, stealing your beer back. You chug the rest of it before he can get any and he gives up trying to get it back. He continues to speak to whomever is irate on the other side of the phone. He exchanges a huffy goodbye and hangs up the phone.

"That was my brother. He was wondering if I died." He gives a small smile and begins to pull his clothes back on. Your mouth speaks before you can stop it.

"You know you didn't have to get dressed for my sake. I was enjoying the view." Dean stops with his pants halfway on and looks at you. You shrug and don't say anything else but you're internally screaming at yourself. You're a fucking dumbass. He pulls his pants the rest of the way up and leaves them unbuttoned as he pulls his shirt on. God what I wouldn't do to have him in my bed. Once he's finished dressing he hands you his phone with a new contact page open.

"Put your number in there. I might want to see you again." You laugh as you begin to fill out the information.

"Might? I feel like there's a high chance you'll want to see me again." He seems to consider this and finally nods.

"You may be right. What are you doing tonight?"

"Not a damn thing. Had a night of Lovecraft Country and takeout planned."

"Wanna get a drink?" Your heart rate skyrockets and it takes everything in you not to reply immediately with a yes. You take the longest seconds of your life to appear to think it over before finally replying.

"Text me with the details later and I'll see you there." You give the dog a few parting pats before gathering your things. "See you later Aries. I'll see you tonight D." He gives you a lopsided smile and turns back towards his original direction. He walks, leaving footprints in the sand, Aries alongside him. Absentmindedly, you make the hike towards the parking lot. Well, this means I actually have to dig something nice out my closet. What have I gotten myself into?