What Could've Been

Almost a week after finding out that Master Pakku and Kanna were once engaged, but the nonbender had fled the Northern Tribe, the old man had taken both Katara and Aang as his young pupils, to teach and train as he once was in his youth.

They worked hard for several weeks, training, eating, sleeping, feeding Appa, having fun and getting to know what Kanna was like when she was younger as story's fell from Pakku's mouth. Katara was very intrigued to hear what her grandmother was like when she herself was a teenager. The only question the young bender had for her grangran was why she fled while harboring her son inside of her, or if she even knew about her condition.

Katara often pondered this while falling asleep and taking breaks from flinging water around with Aang like two children in a kitty pool playing pretend that they were all mighty and powerful gods of different oceans that were so similar to the other. While thinking about her grandmother and why she had left; the 14 year old played with the betrothal necklace her grandfather had hand carved; almost rebuilding her life in her mind, as if her grandmother never left the Northern Water Tribe, her father and mother met, had her and Sokka, all in the same order and same years. But just here, where Kanna was from, where she and Aang were now training.

If she was from the Northern Tribe, and grew up knowing who her grandfather was, would it give her some brownie points in being able to train with the men? Or would she still have to fight that old man she still didn't call grandfather for lack of his presence in her childhood? She rolled over in her sleeping bag and looked over to Aang who was sleeping peacefully; she sighed softly and closed her eyes, pointer finger and thumb grasping the carved out necklace tightly, but not too tightly that it would break, even though it had been through hell already. Three generations...it's lasted a long time, and it shall continue to last a long time.

The young water bender soon surrendered to sleep, her eyes dashing from left to right as she dreamed.

             ~~~~~Dream~~~~~

Katara was six once again, Sokka was seven and there was no Aang present.  But he was replaced with Kya, her mother, her grandmother, grandfather, and Hakoda. Her eyes widened as she looked around to see her family, as if she had truly turned back in time, keeping all of her memories inside of her six year old skull, she hugged her mother tightly, sobbing uncontrollably.
"My my...must have been some night terror.." Kya whispered while holding onto her daughter, who had been tossing and turning in her sleep; so much that it had alerted her whole family, everyone was present, even Sokka who was holding onto Hakoda's leg, looking up to his dad, wandering what had happened.

"Now now, calm down Katara, it's alright, it was just a dream," Hakoda stalked closer to his daughter, kneeling down when he was stationed next to his wife, placing a hand on his daughter's back, leaning forward to place a gentle kiss to her forehead "You're alright, look, even grangran and gramp's are here" the warrior looked back to find his mother and father, linking arms as they sat down in the corner of their tent, Kanna rubbed the sleep from her eyes, then smiled and waved at her son.