Catching Up

"So, my son. We haven't been able to talk much in the three months that you have been back," Ozai started while pulling his chair back so he could sit down, thus starting breakfast.

"Yes Father, we haven't." Zuko nodded, still slightly afraid to look his father in the eye. "How was your vacation?" The Fire Lord rested his chin on his hands, looking towards his son.

"Zuzu found a lover in the earth kingdom, didn't you brother?" Azula raised a sneaky eyebrow, glancing towards her brother who was trying to contain a small smile that threatened to form.

"Not a lover, but a very good friend and valuable customer. His name was Sokka, and he came in at the same time everyday, ordered the same things, we even hung out a couple of times outside of work."

"That's wonderful my son, and have you had time to think about marrying Mai again? If you wish to take on the throne you'll need to find a young girl your age and marry," Ozai then set his hands down into his lap whilst servants brought breakfast out, Jian Bing, a breakfast crepe that was topped with chili sauce, sweet soybean paste, scallions, egg and cilantro. Along with Jian Bing they had a side of Jiaozi, small breakfast dumplings stuffed with pork and thin sliced vegetables.

Sure the meal was small, but it was very filling and got the royal family through the day until lunch, a meal that they ate separately and whenever it was convenient for the individual.

"Right..sorry father.. I thought about marriage, yes. But not to Mai. I was hoping that we could discuss the subject..alone.." Zuko cleared his throat, then smiled and thanked the servant who was giving him his meal. "Oh, I see. Then we shall discuss this over dinner, Azula, you shall remain in your room at that time until I send a servant to fetch you. Is that understood?"

"Yes father, crystal clear" Azula picked up her chopsticks then broke them so she could start devouring her meal by beginning with the Jiaozi.

For the rest of breakfast the family ate in silence, the only sounds that could be heard were the gently clicking of chopsticks being tapped against, and slightly scraping against the family's meal plates; soft throat clearings came from Ozai, Zuko sniffled every now and then from missing his swain, missing lively breakfasts, missing his uncle.

Azula just sat and ate, then stood up whenever she was finished, "good day father, I shall be out studying more techniques," having these words tickle the Fire Lord's brain made him smile, "that's my girl. Feel free to demonstrate your findings at the end of the day"

Once Zuko was done with his meal he looked to his father, then thanked him before standing, "I will be in my room, reading about old fire bending techniques. Send someone in if you need me," the 17 year old then nodded his head before starting to head towards the dining all exit so he could return to his room and write letters. What he had told his father was a lie, he was going to write notes to his swain that would most likely never get delivered, or see the light of sun until his rotted corpse had been discovered.

Whilst walking to his room he began to think again, three months. I've been home for three months.. the young prince sighed and rubbed his left arm gently, squeezing his protuberance that he often used to wrap around his fancy man's hip while they cuddled, or walked together.

The next year and a half was hell for the young prince, his father was pressuring him to find a wife. And that day long ago that Zuko said he wanted to discuss Sokka with his father, he didn't. He got too scared.

He went on many dates with young women of similar status around the Fire Nation, sure he made some great friends hang out with and talk about guys with, but none of them made his fingers tingle whenever they touched, none of them got the blood rushing to his face nor his nether regions.

It seemed that all was at a loss for the young 18 year old, thinking back on the past two years of his life. Thinking of how he found and lost such an amazing man in such a short amount of time. Through the last year and a half the young prince had been burning himself, small scars and scabs decorated his abdomen, his arms and legs. Nothing too visible, and if they were visible he made said burns look like training accidents that had happened while he was away, on his ship before reaching the earth kingdom.

The young heir had been staring up into space, chin resting on his hand whilst he looked out the window in his bedroom, on his knees in front of the small portal he had enjoyed so; through the time he had been separated from his, or who he had hoped still wished to be in a relationship with him, he had written Sokka letters daily. Not mentioning anything about his self inflicted wounds; but instead about how he had been fairing, waiting, craving the others touch, his voice, his corny jokes that got annoying after 15 minutes.

A tap in the young Prince's door alerted him slightly, he then turned his attention to said door before standing and walking towards it, opening the moveable wall, "yes, how may I help you?" "Prince Zuko, there are a group of prisoners who wish to speak to you"