i was meant to be yours

690 words
dream x wilbur soulmate au

——

'i love you'

those words lived at the tip of my tongue. i wanted to say those words so badly.

but i always said it too late.

he leaves the call? i say those words.
he leaves the room? i say those words.

he says the words so easily to everyone, including me. he'd always say it teasingly. he never meant it.

they say you see your soulmate in your dreams. they say if a person appears in your dreams and says those three words then kisses your hand you reveal a red string connecting you two then that's your soulmate.

clay was my soulmate. i'm meant to be his due to the fate sealed by the red string.

"i hate you"

those words lived at the tip of his tongue.

"eww.. wilbur make her stop!" tommy whined to his older brother, who merely laughed at his younger brother's annoyance. "whaat? poki's just being your mother" "she's not my mother!" "theres no need to raise your voice young man!" poki shot a glare at tommy before laughing along with wilbur.

tommy groaned crossing his arms and sliding down his chair. "i hate it here"

wil parted his lips to speak but his mouth shut as a familiar voice cooed in his ear. "hey wil~" the brunette practically froze then and there. the moment he felt clay's hot breath against his ear, he tensed up.

he shook his head and looked over to dream, whose face was uncomfortably close. "what do you want.." wilbur grumbled out. he didn't want to deal with clay now. "i need to talk to you wilbah!" the blond said placing his hand on wil's.

"tommy, poki. i'll be back" true brunette said before getting up and dragging clay along. clay started to drag wilbur along after they had left poki and tommy's sight.

after a while they made it to a room. the janitor's closet. it was small and the door was closed. he was stuck to listen to whatever clay had to say.

"i had a dream and you were in it." clay said with a surprisingly serious tone.
"o-oh.." wil said simply before getting pinned against to the wall by an annoyed looking clay. wil didn't say anything, he didn't want to deal with this.. not again.

"listen i don't like you that way. you're attractive and all but i don't swing that way" those words made wilbur feel like his finger was getting ripped off and his heart ripped apart.

wilbur knew that he would say that. so why did it hurt so much?

"i understand." was all a shaking wilbur could manage to say. "awe you don't look like you do~ do you lovee me?" the smirking blond teased. "..."
"aww, you dooo~!"

wilbur felt clay's face get closer. barely any space was between them. "i could help you with your problem, you know?" "what probl-" the brunette got cut off by a pair of lips crashing into his.

a soulmate's kiss is meant to feel magical, like none of your past wounds exist and it's just the two of you. in that moment you know they're the one.

this kiss however was suffocating.

it felt like the red string wrapped around his neck and choked him as it cut deeper into his skin. his lips felt like they were poisoned. he wanted to vomit. he felt sick. he felt like he couldn't breathe.

yet he kissed back, gave in to this poison.

because in that moment he knew,

clay was his soulmate but he wasn't clay's
he was meant to the blond's true love.

but the string was tied in a knot around his neck and it connected to clay's finger.

this was his fate yet he couldn't accept it.

which is why the world threw him in a loop to fall in love with clay repeatedly. nothing changed. he was stuck until he gave in and said those words at the tip of his tongue..

"i hate you"

then he was through back in the loop, screaming "i love you" at the top of his lungs a little too late.