Chapter 43 : A hand from Jack

Damien produced a green flash around his hands and fitted the light into a dark bottle which contained some liquid inside

Damien produced a green flash around his hands and fitted the light into a dark bottle which contained some liquid inside. He chanted some spells that made the bottle levitate in the air.

"What's he chanting?" Charlie whispered.

"Probably a Scettrian spell," Edwin replied in the same quiet way. "Although I don't know the language, I know what it sounds like."

Damien sat on the floor in a meditating position with the glimmering bottle levitating around him, and chanted something in a hushed voice. It took him half an hour to complete all of the process. The four boys pinned themselves against the wall, holding their breath when Damien came out of the room, perspiring and nervous.

"I told you he's up to something. Only a trickster can spot a trickster's true intention," Charlie said, watching him sneaking toward his dorm, hiding the bottle inside his sweater on his back.

"You know what I'm thinking. He's behind that streakfall," Timothy said seriously.

"Protectors of the sun and the moon! You're thinking way too much," Charlie chuckled. Edwin and Ermand agreed with Charlie.

"You don't see it. He was sort of doing dark magic. Do you know of any magic that we learn like this? Moreover, the confined space with burning candles that don't melt. All of this makes sense."

"You've been going to drama theatres too much, Timothy," Ermand said, shaking his head, stifling a laugh.

"You people are hopeless," he grumbled, folding his hands and turned his back at them.

"It's Spells and enchantments now, I guess. Let's go Tim and see if it really were dark magic," Charlie said, placing a hand on Timothy's shoulder while trying to stifle another fit of laughter.

"You're not believing me, are you?"

"Of course not."

"Charlie!"

Charlie and Timothy strolled forward to Ermand and Edwin.

"Hey, how is Odin's mother's condition? Did he send a knocketer?" Edwin enquired Ermand.

"No. It's actually more than a month since he has attended classes with us. Professor Chestnut was busy finding faults with it despite our explanation of his mother's deteriorating health."

"Professor Chestnut is sulky at times," Edwin mumbled.

"Not just at times, it's every time."

They kept on chatting until Professor Mitbroom Estrel started her class. Within a couple months after the first DCT, students had started understanding the value of finding their Aslehm and catching up with their theory classes.

A month had passed, the final DCT was a week away for the boys. In the meantime, Ermand and Jack had rebounded with each other although Ermand still believed there was something the Chisels were keeping away from him and Charlie had gained his Aslehm, but the reason for this, he was not willing to reveal. He said he wanted to keep the reason to himself, and was glad that his friends respected his privacy and went about doing their businesses. His Aslehm was a golden Scythe with one of its blades longer and sharper and the other blade shorter adorned with red jewel that was embedded in a depression between the blades.