Chapter 42 : Following the Qorder

Ermand turned his direction away from them and hurried toward Jack's dormitory

Ermand turned his direction away from them and hurried toward Jack's dormitory. He found his brother having a good time with his friends with all of them sitting on one of their beds. Ermand drew a deep breath and exhaled, closing his eyes before knocking on the opened door beside him.

"Ermand!" Jack greeted, walking to him, smiling.

Ermand didn't reply, instead he showed Jack the crumbled paper in his hands.

"What's this?"

Ermand didn't reply again, he pushed the paper onto his hands. Jack took the crumpled paper and unfolded it in a proper manner and read the whole knocketer. He knitted his brows after reading.

"What's wrong?"

"Are you guys hiding something from me, Jack?"

"Hide from you. What is it that we should hide from you, Ermand?"

"I'm not part of you."

"Ermand, don't be childish. Tell me what the problem is."

"The knocketer is the problem. I can read mum's mind through these lines and I bet she's not sincere with the writing. She's hiding something from me, maybe all of us."

"Why do you think all of this?"

"I thought you'd understand me," Ermand said, his eyes narrowed at Jack.

"I don't understand what you're even trying to imply-" Jack paused whatever he was going to say.

Ermand shook his head and walked out of the dormitory. Both of his hands were clenched into a tight fist. He didn't dare to turn back at his brother calling back after him. He know he's being childish and stupid but he was not willing to admit his suspicion was completely false.

"Ermand Chisel! Are you alive in my class?" Professor Chestnut roared, bringing Ermand back to the class. His mind was elsewhere, he was still thinking about the knocketer and the encounter with Jack the last day. He surmised Mrs. Chisel was keeping something away from him. The dreams he had been having were not some ordinary dream. Most of them came true except for the nightmares. But he believes it could come alive too.

"Are you hearing me, Chisel?" Professor Chestnut shouted at the top of his voice that it could bring any child in deep sleep back to the present situation.

"Sorry, sir. I-I didn't hear you," he apologized after standing up.

"You didn't hear me? I am amused."

The Professor's words were followed by a background of laughs and murmurs. Ermand bent his head down when the Professor glared at him, his lips in a thin line.

"Forgive me, sir."

"Name me the Protectors of fire and light."

Ermand's lips trembled. He didn't know the answer. He was sure the Professor would probably throw him out of the class with a lot of humiliation.