Chapter 3 : Mr. Crazy Coop

Jack folded his hands, leaving a heavy snort

Jack folded his hands, leaving a heavy snort. For a long time, he didn't dare to blink. Ermand would swear on his favourite chocolate pie that this was the major characteristic Jack showed when he was exceptionally angry.

After the fight between the brothers and their father’s arbitration, neither Mr. Chisel, nor Jason spoke to Jack or with each other. The men stubbornly went about their day without a single word toward one another. Mrs. Chisel fussed about it the whole time during supper.  

“Helmuth! You’re his father! How can you act so childish? Why don’t you talk to him?” She frowned at her husband. 

Mr. Chisel wasn’t ready to give up a war. The angry Chisel boys were stewing in their own pride while secretly launching evil glares at each other. Ermand and Mrs. Chisel were disappointed about this for a couple of days until Mr. Geoffrey Coop arrived.

He discussed certain important things with Mr. Chisel that neither his wife nor his children were privy to. Ermand was curious about his arrival since he believed he would get to know the reason behind his strange dreams he had been dying to know. Mrs. Chisel reached her wits’ end, overwhelmed and furious with all the things that had been happening in the Chisels’ eyrie.

It was Ermand’s first day at Agledon that day, and Jack was giving Ermand the best of his tips on how to pass the practical tests with little effort in Agledon, which Mrs. Chisel forbade him to tell.

“But why can’t I?” He whined, chuckling at the same time.

“Because he should realize the worth of hard work and find out the solutions by himself and learn from them, rather than cheating. Also, Mr. Coop will visit us today.”

“He is?” Jack groaned.

“Shut up, Jack. I don’t want any funny business in here while he visits.”

Jack nodded his head like a monkey, sticking his tongue out of his mouth. The argument wouldn’t last long, as long as Mr. Chisel is available at home. 

Jason has locked himself in his room for the past four days, only coming out either to have food or for other particular necessities. His parents believed he was preparing for his coming year. Though he was talented at casting spells without creating trouble like Jack, and a good boy about which Mr. & Mrs. Chisel could puff up their lungs and be proud of. But Jack sensed something fishy in his brother’s behaviour and discussed the matter with Ermand, who suggested that Jack either might be right about Jason’s strange behaviour or might have misconceptions.

Mrs. Chisel came with a satchel held in her hand. It looked brand new, with a mark of “C” on it, a symbol of their clan, Chisel.

“So, Ermie dear, did you choose this satchel?” She inquired in her ever-loving, cheerful tone. Ermand nodded, a reassuring smile on his face.