Chapter 39 : The Ficklefolks

When Ermand opened his eyes, he was in the Healers' department, the same room

When Ermand opened his eyes, he was in the Healers' department, the same room. He glanced at his legs that were applied with some green oil over it. It was still aching.

Then he remembered that the serpent had bit him on his shoulder. Ermand ran his fingers over his shoulder which felt bumpy.

"It's a little bit swollen, boy. Don't worry, you've been bitten by a river serpent. It won't do you much harm. We have sucked out the venom with the sucking bulb. It just looks in bluish colour over your shoulder," a nurse told him.

It was later he realized that he was lying shirtless on the bed. His wet vest and shirt were placed near him, kept for drying with the amount of sunlight that entered the room through the one of the windows near him. He felt as if his head was hammered constantly.

Out of nowhere, Timothy walked near to his bed and sat near to his foot.

"You seem to be bitten," he said, wrinkling his nose.

"River serpent."

"Horrible, but okay."

"You look fit and all right."

"My Aslehm saved me. The bow and arrow proved me that gaining an Aslehm was worth it. I passed the test. Emile did too, although he is slightly injured but not as much as you are. He had also achieved his Aslehm. He overcame his fear of the black-horned horses by fighting back like a true Defender. His Aslehm is a partisan since attacking a horse requires a partisan. The fact is that I don't know why mine is a bow and arrow when I saved Arawn."

"The rest others failed?"

"Charlie. He's severely injured. The black-horned horse penetrated its horn into his stomach--"

Ermand gasped.

"He was hospitalised in the correct time or else he would've been... you know."

"Edwin?"

"He won miserably. A giant owl scratched all over his body with its claws, and you know what happens when you're scratched by its claws once."

"Continuous bleeding."

"When he was brought here, he was drenched in his own blood. Now he looks like a corpse but he's still alive. Most of the students made it but all of them were somehow harmed during the test. Ermand... you remember what Professor Oscar Qorder said?"

Ermand gulped, nodding.

"The last test becomes tougher than this."

"You and Charlie, have to make it alive somehow. I've heard there will be demons in the last test."

"I need to see him."

"See who?"

"Jack."