SHE (Beyoncé and Normani) - 26

Beyoncé's POV

Normani was back in school and I was officially back at the office. Because of an immature, petty certain someone, my boss and me decided it was best for me to work remotely. But now the situation was handled.

"Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back," Kelly sang, breaking into laughter when I playfully rolled my eyes. She was all smiles, holding something behind her back. "Right here is where we need you..."

I laughed outright when she did the Diddy-bop.

"You know you like that," she added in Mase's part.

"It was amusing." I smiled. "Whatcha hiding back there?"

It was a bouquet of daisies, my favorite flowers.

"Kell," I said, pouting sentimentally and setting them on the right corner of my desk where my computer resided.

"Welcome back, partner. It ain't the same without you." She hugged me and chastely kissed my cheek.

"I missed you too, KellBelle," I said, hugging her back.

When we separated, she raised a comical eyebrow at me, making m"Since we're being corny today."

Kelly chuckled and took a seat. "You ready to meet 'big dog'?"

"Big Wig sounds better...he's too bougie to be a big dog."

"Hey, wolf in sheep clothing." She made a weighing motion with her hands.

"True. But yes, I am ready." No one really knows this, but I've been losing my interest in my job. I don't have the same passion. It's one of the reasons I've been considering retiring and becoming a teacher. Maybe Caldwell Reid will change my mind. He's a power player in the industry hence my nickname for him, Big Wig.

I'm sure his appointment to Vice President is going to make things very interesting now.

Not too long after Kelly left my office, I decided to greet Caldwell. Of course having been in this industry for years we were familiar with each other but this would be our first time working together.

He was a short, bald-headed brown skinned man with no facial hair and stayed in a suit. His assistant's cubicle was situated near his office.

"He's in a meeting," she explained with a friendly smile.

I nodded. "I don't think we met. I'm Beyoncé..."

She eagerly stood before calmly approaching and giving me a jovial handshake. "Coco, nice to meet you. I hope I'm not shaking your hand too hard. I just didn't want to give one of those weak, limp little basic handshakes."

I smiled. "No, you're fine. No hands were harmed."

She put a hand to her heart. "Oh Beyoncé, you're too kind."

Suddenly the door opened, Caldwell looking from me to Coco. "Hello..."

"Oh, Caldwell, Beyoncé wanted to talk to you," the assistant said, turned towards him.

"Is now a good time?" I asked him.

"Yes. I was just headed to the cafeteria. You can join me if you'd like."

I accepted and made sure to acknowledge Coco before we left. I thanked her and she smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

***

I came home excited to tell Normani about my day and find out about hers as well. But that would have to wait. We had company. Melissa of all people was here.

Normani's face lit up when she saw me. "Hi babe!" She wrapped her arms around my waist and puckered her lips. Even though I wasn't pleased about this visitor, I kissed her. She smiled and wriggled her eyebrows some, pulling away. She subtly licked her lips. "You remember Melissa, right?" She motioned across the room where the woman sat on the vintage floral loveseat, staring at me.

"Of course I do," I replied. "We go way back, don't we?"

"Yes," Melissa agreed, composed.

"And didn't you get Normani fired?"

"Babe," Normani gasped but I kept my gaze on Melissa, who only managed to chuckle dryly.

"Correction, I got fired."

"Maybe if you'd been minding your own business that wouldn't have happened."

"Maybe, but I don't care. I moved on."

"That's nice, are you still in other people's business?"

"Beyoncé," Normani admonished, holding my arm. I met her wide-eyed, gaping expression. "Melissa is not the bad guy here. If she was, she wouldn't be here right now."

"I think I have a right to feel a way when this woman can't keep my name out her mouth and almost cost you your job." I eased out of Normani's hold and went to the kitchen, pouring myself a drink.

Normani's POV

"Alright, Normani, well it was good seeing you," Melissa said over the thud of cups sounding from the kitchen. "I'm sorry for the drama." She grabbed her purse and headed for the door.

I blocked her and looked at her pleadingly. "Apologize," I mouthed.

"Now?" she looked at me like I was crazy.

I looked at her with conviction, nodding in the affirmative. She sighed and turned back around, coming to the entrance of the kitchen, with me following.

"Beyoncé, maybe I do have a big mouth sometimes, but Normani is my friend and I never have and never will betray her. If anything, I wanna make sure you're treating her right."

Beyoncé damn near spun around, leaning against the counter. "I treat her just fine. Have you asked her?"

"Yes. And she tells me she's happy. Keep it that way. Okay, good night."

Melissa returned to the door and looked at me before leaving.

"That bitch got some nerve," Beyoncé said. "I don't know what you see in her."

"Melissa is a cool chick. Everybody wants to be her friend, she's genuine, and talented."

Beyoncé snorted. "Talented?" She shook her head before sipping her wine.

"So talented! I'm glad she's not behind the scenes anymore because she needs to be on stage."

Beyoncé continued to look baffled before smiling at me. "You are so supportive. I like that you ride hard for your friends...even when they are questionable." She turned back around to check on the food I cooked that was warming up on the stove.

"I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. I'mma show you how talented she is. But first I wanna hear about your day."

It was adorable to see her talk about her day so happily, especially because I had never really seen this spark in her eyes when she did. She never talked about work much to me and when she did, she kept it short. But she went to lunch with one of her new bosses and they hit it off. Beyoncé told me she feels like they are aligned. He's motivating her now so I think she may be back in the game. That's good because at one point she was interested in teaching at my school and I was like nah.

"Well since you're feeling all inspired, watch this," I said, showing her a YouTube video of Melissa singing a cover at home.

"She can sing," she admitted, returning my phone a minute later.

"And here you were doubting her," I teased.

"I had no idea she could sing."

"And she's performing tomorrow at Charming's," I said, referencing the popular restaurant.

"She is?" I could tell she was surprised. "Good for her."

I chuckled and ate another forkful of lasagna. "You wanna come?"

"I'll think about it. How was school?"