SHE (Beyoncé and Normani) - 19

Normani's POV

"Damn man, who died?" Kehlani complained.

It sounded messed up, but I understood. It was only 6AM and someone was calling my phone.

Unless it was an emergency (God forbid), Beyoncé was the main one who came into my head.

The idea of it being her worried me. We haven't spoken since I cancelled our plans to meet up. She didn't ask why, and I didn't volunteer information. Mentioning Kehlani didn't seem like a good idea regardless of the circumstances.

So if she was calling me now, because Beyoncé is good for popping up every once in a while, I didn't need that shit.

"It's probably just a scammer," I said, wanting Kehlani to go back to sleep.

My heart was racing as I picked up my iPhone.

Kehlani watched like a hawk, clearly not planning to go back to sleep just yet.

"Oh," I murmured, both relieved and confused to see Janet's name on my screen.

"Who is it?" Kehlani asked.

"Janet..."

"The hell?" But she had a hint of a smile on her face.

I shrugged, slid answer on the screen, and walked out the room. "Good morning." My voice was thick with sleep.

"Good morning. Is this a bad time?"

"...No. Not at all. Is everything okay?"

"Okay. Well, this won't take long. Normani, you know Beyoncé, correct?"

"Correct?" she repeated when I was silent.

What was happening?

"Yes. Why?"

"I know her too. We go way back. I saw her over the weekend when I was visiting Kelly—who you know as well."

I could feel myself starting to become woozy. "Am I missing something, Janet?"

"What did you tell Beyoncé about me? Huh?"

I gasped.

She waited for me to speak.

"I didn't tell Beyoncé anything about you, I promise. Why? Did she say something?"

"She said a lot. And so have you. I was made aware that you've been going around, gossiping about my affairs with Beyoncé—"

"What?!"

"Oh, please, with the dramatics. You think you're the only one who talks? Do you think that's a good idea? To be green into your career and spreading people's business? Engaging in gossip?"

All I could think about was Melissa. It had to be her.

"I never did such a thing," I said after swallowing a lump in my throat. "I would never. Where did you get that from?"

"Are you listening? I already said Beyoncé. Keep up, girl."

Really, Beyoncé?

"Who told you?" Janet questioned.

"Told me?"

"Who told you, who were you gossiping and ki'ki'ing with?"

I was confused. So Melissa didn't put this on me?

"I said I never did such a thing."

"So you just magically came to the job knowing about business that ain't none of yours and way before your time."