SHE (Beyoncé and Normani) - 13

Beyoncé's POV

"Normani."

She ignored my call, continuing to power walk, although the red light now prevented her from crossing the street like she intended. Disgruntled, she stamped her little foot. But now her annoyance was about to increase because the wind blew off her beanie.

I silently chuckled as the hat came towards me. Normani glowered at me from the distance, but I simply grabbed her item before it could touch the ground. Reluctantly, she proceeded in my direction. For a second there I wasn't sure if she was going to abandon her hat just to avoid further contact with me. The wind propelled her forward, her black hair, leather jacket and sweat suit wildly moving along.

We stared at each other, her with hatred, me with desire.

"I'm sorry," I said before she could command me to give her back her hat.

She crossly reached for the black small fabric in my leather gloved hand, but I eased my arm backward.

"Are you serious? Give me my damn hat."

"I will, just give me a moment."

"It's too cold for this shit!"

"I know," I soothed. "If I give it to you, will you stay?"

She gaped at me.

"See," I said hastily but smoothly. "I'm positive you would walk away after I gave it back. And I don't want you to go." I looked at her, pocketing her hat in my wool coat.

I ignored her huffing and puffing about how crazy I was and ordered an Uber.

Suddenly I felt a hand rifle through my pocket.

"Are you gonna grip my hand again?" she taunted.

I sadly looked down at her bare hands. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. Does it hurt?"

Normani scoffed and put her hat on, tucking it down low. I waited for her to drop her hands and then I carefully took them in mine. She tensed but didn't pull away, obviously welcoming the warmth from my hands onto hers.

"We'll be nice and warm in a minute," I cajoled. I ignored the weird look she gave me and looked around for the Uber, which was supposed to be a Toyota RAV4.

"I know you don't thi-"

"There's our ride." I gave a closed-mouthed smile, noticing the vehicle and confirming it with my Uber notification. Normani watched the car come around and pulled away from me.

"Let's get you inside." I approached our ride and opened the door. "Come on, Normani. The faster we get in, the faster you'll be home."

She sucked her teeth and went inside the car. I smiled to myself and greeted the driver before we went about our way. I removed my gloves and waited a bit before making my next move.

"Let me see your hands," I requested of Normani.

Another scoff. She was turned away from me, peering into the night from her side of the window. After a short moment, I gently started caressing her hand eliciting a flinch and hiss in the process.

"This is the one that hurts?" I asked softly as she looked at me in frustration.

"Don't act like you care."

"Let me make it feel better. Please."

Much to my relief, she didn't fight me on this, so I continued kneading her hand. She seemed to be enjoying it until I noticed tears. My heart clenched.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

Seemingly mad at herself for being vulnerable, she wiped her eyes and cheeks.

"Baby?" I repeated.

"Don't call me that!" She turned away and full on started sobbing. I felt helpless. But I trusted that the best thing to do was to let her release her emotions.

"Everything okay back there?" the driver spoke up.

"We'll be alright," I said and rubbed Normani's arm. I changed the destination in the Uber app. I still had a little more time with her.

Her phone kept vibrating, I guess someone was calling her. In a watery voice, she answered the call. "Yeah, I'm on my way now...yes, I'm okay. Yes, I'm fine. I'll see you when I get home. Love you too. Bye." She hung up and looked ready to break into tears again.

"Normani, what's wrong? Talk to me."

"I have a girlfriend who actually loves me and respects me, she kisses the ground I walk on, but I let you fuck me up all over again. After I worked so hard to get over you..." she vented, her voice still watery and now bitter.

The driver and I looked at each other in the rearview mirror.

"I'm a fucking mess," she wept.

This time I turned away from her, feeling attacked. Even if she was right.

Neither one of us were going to heal if we stayed in each other's lives. I realized that I was always going to be her bad decision. Her regret. Her scar.

The remainder of the ride was silent until we arrived at her apartment.

"You won't have to," I started, stilling Normani's movements. "Worry about me anymore. I will...keep my distance."

She looked like she wanted to say "yeah right." But she didn't know how serious I was.

"I wish you well. You and her."

"You not getting out too?" the driver said to me when Normani shut the door behind her.

"Obviously not."

He didn't put up a fight, to my surprise, not that I really cared. I input my address and just acknowledged his reminder that I had to pay another fee.