SHE (Beyoncé and Normani) - 6

Normani's POV

Professor Danai sat across from me with her piercing stare and wise smile. She always looks like she knows what's up.

"I'm glad you got in touch with me." She unraveled a white cloth that protected her utensils and draped the material over her lap.

I smiled. "You know you'll never go too long without hearing from me."

She hummed a slight chuckle, smiling at me like she thought I was adorable. Then her head tilted to the side ever so slightly and inquisitively. "So Kelly tells me you passed on the job."

Of course this was coming, I just didn't know when. I poured myself a glass of wine and watched the dark purple liquid. "Yeah," I said good-naturedly. Professor Danai wanted more, I could tell. "I decided to explore other opportunities."

She looked at me with polite confusion. "But I thought this was the opportunity that was atop of your list."

I sighed and Professor Danai was quick to apologize. "Forgive me if I sound like I'm prying, Normani. I just want to know what made you changed your mind."

"No, I mean you did refer me to Kelly, so it makes sense that you'd want to know what happened, but I've been doing some thinking and I think I need to see what else is out there before locking myself in...into something that I'm not even sure is what I really want. I don't want to commit to something if I'm unsure. If that makes sense."

Professor Danai held onto my every word. I started eating my baked chicken that she had delivered to her office. "Don't worry about making sense to me if it makes sense to you."

I smiled lightly. "Thank you, professor."

"Can I ask what made you unsure?"

I laughed a little. "You are not going to let this go, professor."

"Well, I need to make sure it's not a self-esteem issue."

"Huh?"

"Like doubting yourself and your capabilities."

"Oh no. No, no, no. That's not it at all. I mean, I might have been a little nervous, but I never doubted myself."

She smiled. "Then what were you unsure about?" She sipped her glass of water.

I shrugged. "I followed my intuition." When she continued to gaze at me, I said, "For real. I listened to my heart."

"Well good on you for trusting your instincts," she said. "I will say, though..." she leaned forward like she was sharing a secret. "You might want to reach out to Kelly."

"Why do you say it like that? Is she mad at me?"

"Not mad, just disappointed. The position was yours and she was blindsided that you opted out."

"But it's my choice to make. I'm not obligated to take any job, even if I did say I wanted it."

"No, of course, but I think she wants to know if something turned you off." Professor Danai ate her salad and glanced at me.

I involuntarily blushed and looked at my plate.

"Normani," she called, causing me to look at her curiously. "I also meant to ask. Do you know anyone at the company?"

"Kelly's company?"

"Mhm."

"Besides Kelly? Um, well, I don't know everyone who works there, so. Maybe?" I laughed some. Shit. And there she went with that prying eyes again. "Why do you ask?"