SHE (Beyoncé and Normani) - 18

Beyoncé's POV

I almost just let the phone ring.

But a sliver of me hoped it was her calling. Apologizing again and explaining in detail why she couldn't come. Or better yet, maybe she wanted to know if the invitation still stood.

One look at my screen dismantled my wishful thinking and added to my disappointment for the night.

A part of me didn't want to be bothered right now, but I knew talking to Kelly would pick me up some, so I took her call.

"Hi."

"Bey-Bey, what's wrong?"

Lying would keep me stagnant. I didn't want to hold onto to any emotion that wasn't serving me. Denial would give it power.

"I invited Normani over, she couldn't make it."

As Kelly was quiet, I imagined her jaw drop. "You invited Normani over? To your house?"

I rubbed my bare feet into my gray rug, enjoying the sensation. "Yeah. I was going to tell her...get candid."

"You were going to tell her about Janet?"

"Yes."

She squealed. "Friend! I am so proud of you. Growth, growth."

"When I'm finally ready, this happens."

"Aww, did she say why she had to cancel?"

"No. All she said was something came up."

Kelly was quiet for a second. "Well hopefully everything is okay."

"Oh please, I'm sure everything is fine. She didn't want to come, Kell."

"You think so?" Her voice got higher in skepticism. "Did she seem like she was on board when you invited her?"

"Yes, initially, but that doesn't mean anything. You know that."

"I have to agree. Too many times I've been invited to things and acted like I was excited knowing damn well I wasn't. RSVP, who? Not me!"

"I don't understand people like you. What's hard about saying no or I have plans? Or—gasp--I'm not interested."

"You really tell people you're not interested in their invitation? You do not, Bey."

"I have. Many a times. And I sleep just fine because of it."

We laughed and then Kelly got to the real reason she called. I probably should have remained seated, but I put her on speaker and started putting the food away.

"Speaking of Normani..." she started. "Janet is coming over on Saturday. I think you should come."

I stopped what I was doing.

"Hear me out," Kelly said. "All Normani wanted was closure. And I don't think you ever got that. Am I right?"

My chest tightened. My heart flexed. The grip I had on my white china bowl could have broken it, so I let it go. Instead, I snatched my phone from the counter and took it off speaker.

"I don't need anything from her."

"Beyoncé. You were willing to talk to Normani about your past, which I applaud you because I know that decision didn't come easy. If you could do that, why not the woman who caused all of this in the first place? Don't you have things you want to say to her?"

"This is not your place!"

"Let me ask you this. Do you think it is a coincidence that Normani, the girl you used to be involved with and still are to some degree, is working for your former boss, who you also had relations with? The same history, the same industry...come on, Beyoncé. This ain't accidental."