Chapter 33

The sky became dark and the night was going pretty smooth. Drew, Melissa and Devine were having dinner together. Melissa was acting normal. She smiled as she served Drew at the dining table. Everything was normal. The night passed quite fast. Drew and Melissa usually slept early since they woke up early in the morning whereas Devine studied till late at night. That night too, it was the same routine. At around nine o'clock, Drew and Melissa went to bed.

Lying down next to his wife, Drew was going to talk to her to ask if she was fine. He was also going to apologise for talking to her in a loud tone. However, when he turned around to speak to her, he found out that Melissa was asleep. Her eyes were closed and she was breathing gently. Drew smiled and let her rest. She had a bad day. Drew felt tired too. He turned to the other side and closed his eyes. Soon, he felt asleep.

******

The alarm rang. Drew opened his right eye and looked at the clock. It was already four in the morning. He scratched his eyes and stretched his arms. He had to get up to get ready for work. He turned around to the side of Melissa. He tapped his hands on the bed. She was not there.

"She already woke up," Drew thought to himself. He slowly sat up on the bed. He stretched his arms again. The door of the room was closed. He stood up and he walked out of the room bare footed.

He made his way into the kitchen, but, he did not see Melissa there. He searched into the living room and in the washroom. Alas, she was nowhere to be found. Fear filled Drew's body.

"What if she went to the basement and–" he paused. His eyes opened bigger and he rushed towards the basement.

The door was closed. He opened it as quickly as he could. He ran down the stairs. However, the basement was empty. The table on which there was a body the previous day was now empty. All the books on the table to the corner were untouched. The candles and the skulls were not there. Everything looked normal. Melissa had cleared the basement as ordered by Drew. The latter led out a sigh of relief. Deep in his mind, he thanked God for guiding his wife to the right path. He then made his way upstairs.

As he left the basement, he wondered where could Melissa go so early in the morning. He then remembered that he had not checked the room of Devine.

Without wasting any time he walked towards Devine's room. The door was closed. He slowly opened it and peeked into the room. The bed was empty. He was shocked. He opened the door wider and he stepped into the room. He looked everywhere inside, but, he did not see Devine anywhere. His hair stood on its end when he noticed that the small cupboard of Devine was opened and all her clothes had disappeared.

"Oh my God!" Drew exclaimed with terror. He quickly ran into his room and he opened the cupboard. Only his clothes were there. The ones of Melissa had vanished.

Drew's heart started to pound faster.

"She ran away. She ran away with my daughter!" he muttered to himself.

He hurried to his bed and he lied down to slid under it. The book was not there. He once again looked for it. It was not there. He saw some of the tape that was still stuck to the bottom of the bed. Some of it had fallen on the floor. Drew got out and stood up. He placed his hands on his waist. He had a headache. He did not know what to do. He felt as if his whole world had shattered. He walked into the living room and sat down on a chair. He feared if something bad would happen to his daughter. He was not understanding what to do. Where to find them?