Chapter 21

"Open you eyes as wide as you can," Dr Sam said.

Chloe was lying down on the bed. Dr Sam took a flashlight and shone it into the eyes of Chloe.

"Uhmmm, looks fine to me," he muttered to himself.

He then turned off the torch and placed it on a trolley next to the bed.

"Let me check your pulse," he said and then he grabbed the wrist of Chloe. He placed his thumb on her wrist.

A few seconds passed and Dr Sam was trying to feel her pulse. He furrowed his eyebrows as he kept himself concentrated.

"Take heavy breaths," he instructed.

Chloe started to breathe heavily.

After waiting and focusing for a few moments, Dr Sam's forehead ceased.

"I can't feel your pulses," he said with worry.

He let go of Chloe's wrist and then grabbed it again. "Breathe heavily," he said and he again tried to feel her pulse rate.

He tried to focus for a few seconds. He still had a sign of worry on his face.

"Nurse!" he called out.

Devine instantly opened the door and walked in. It was as if she was waiting outside the room.

Dr Sam didn't pay attention to that. "I can't feel her pulses. We need to take a cardiogram."

Devine was shocked. "A cardiogram?" she made sure she heard him right.

"Yes, quick!" Dr Sam exclaimed.

Devine nodded. She reluctantly approached Chloe and she slowly unbuttoned her dress. There was a table next to the bed on which there was a monitor screen. She walked to that table and picked up a few wires which had round straps connected to their ends. She gently placed those straps on Chloe's chest.

"Hurry up," Dr Sam ordered as he switched on the monitor.

Devine placed the straps and when she finished, she stepped back from the bed.

Dr Sam sat on a chair next to the bed and waited for a signal to appear on the screen.

After waiting for about six minutes, a green dot appeared on the screen. Dr Sam fixed his eyes on the screen and asked Chloe to keep herself calm and breathe normally.

Suddenly, a horizontal green line was produced on the monitor screen.

Dr Sam's mouth opened with shock.

"How is this possible?" he whispered as his heart started to beat faster. He observed the horizontal line and waited with the hope for it to turn into peaks. However, it remained a line.

"Nurse, have you well-placed the straps?" he asked Devine and turned around to look at her.

As he turned around, Chloe who was lying down on the bed next to him, sat straight and in no time, she grabbed the neck of Dr Sam and started to squeeze him with a great strength.

It all happened in a jiffy. Dr Sam was not expecting this at all. He started to feel suffocated and with a lot of difficulty, he managed to lift up his hands up to his neck and tried to remove the hand of Chloe.

Devine's eyes were wide opened as she panicked. She ran towards them and tried to separate Chloe from the doctor. Although there were two persons against Chloe, she didn't let go. She was strangling Dr Sam with only one hand.

Devine grabbed her arm and tried to pull her hand away from him, but, she was too weak. Chloe pushed Devine away with her other hand and she then got up from the bed and stood next to the chair on which Dr Sam was still sitting. She now grabbed his neck with both hands. Dr Sam started to choke and he couldn't breathe well anymore. Devine didn't give up. She came near Chloe again and she tried to pull her away from Dr Sam.