Chapter 22

Gordon and Miguel got out of the elevator and walked along the hallway, towards the same room. The door of that room was still open. Gordon stood there and took a look inside. The room was empty. There still were pieces of glass all over the floor. He walked towards the bench which was next to the door and took a seat. He placed his elbows on his thighs and massaged his temples. Miguel followed him and took a seat next to him.

Suddenly, a door to his right opened. He raised his head and saw Veronica and Dr Sam coming out of the room which was next to the one in which Chloe was admitted before she jumped off the window. Veronica and Dr Sam saw them sitting on the bench. They immediately walked towards them and stood in front of them.

"Where is she? Is she fine?" Veronica asked.

Gordon simply looked at her and gave no response.

"We didn't find her," Miguel said.

Gordon lowered his head.

"What? But, the nurse said she fell down," Veronica panicked.

"Yeah, but, when we reached there, she was nowhere to be found. We saw blood on the ground," Miguel explained with a heavy voice.

"If she is injured, then how did she get up and run away?" Dr Sam pointed out.

Miguel lifted his shoulders and didn't say anything else. He was not able to think or understand anything at that moment.

"I should've prepared for such an incident," Dr Sam said as he shook his head.

"What do you mean?" Veronica asked.

"I knew Chloe would have another anxiety attack. She was too disturbed mentally and I knew that she may feel suicidal anytime. However, I didn't pay attention to that and that's exactly what happened." he explained with guilt.

Silence filled the atmosphere for a few minutes.

"Where is mom?" Miguel asked.

Veronica led out a sigh and replied, "She is in the other room. She is resting. When you ran after Mr Gordon, I rushed up to search for her. She was unconscious when I came here. The nurse told me everything that happened with Chloe. She said that Alicia couldn't bear the trauma and she lost her consciousness."

"I gave her an injection," Dr Sam added.

"I wonder what is happening to my family. I don't even know where my wife is," Miguel said as his lips shivered. Tears rolled down his cheeks.

A sad expression formed on Veronica's face. She didn't know how to comfort Miguel. Too much had happened to him.

"Have faith Miguel, we will find him," Veronica said with a glow in her eyes.

She noticed that Gordon had been silent ever since she came out to talk to them. He was lost somewhere.

"Inspector?" she called out.

Gordon finally raised his head and looked at her.

"How are we going to find Chloe?" she asked.

Gordon looked down and shook his head. He swallowed a lump of saliva. "I'm sorry," he apologised and continued, "I can't anymore. I'm lost."

"What do you mean?" Miguel asked with concern.

"I'm leaving this case," Gordon said.

"What? No!" Veronica exclaimed.

"I'm sorry," Gordon apologized again and stood up.

Miguel watched him with despair. Still sitting on the bench, he grabbed the hand of Gordon. The latter turned around and looked at him.