Chapter 32

A few minutes later, Veronica excused herself. She walked away from Gordon and Drew.

When she was gone, Drew looked at Gordon and smiled. "Thank you," he muttered.

Gordon was confused. He did not understand why Drew was thanking him. "Why?" he asked.

Drew started to play with his fingers. "You managed to change the topic and avoid the question of Veronica," he said.

Gordon remained silent.

"I really did not know how to respond. Explaining everything clearly is too bulky for me," Drew added.

Gordon bit his lower lips and said, "I understand. I am myself still filled with questions."

Drew led out a sigh. He then opened his book again and he took out a picture which was in between the pages.

"I am ashamed of my family and of my past, but, I cannot run away from the truth," Drew spoke as he closed the book and he placed the photograph on it. He then showed it to Gordon.

Gordon removed the tray which was between them. He placed it on the other side and then moved nearer to Drew. He looked at the picture. There was a young and tall man, a pretty woman and a little girl. Gordon recognised the man. It was Drew, but, younger. The woman had a fair complexion. She had blonde hair that was scattered behind the back. She had thick eyebrows and big round eyes. He then took a look at the little girl. The latter had blonde hair too. She was very thin. Her hair was attached into a ponytail. The image was not too clear, but, Gordon was able to notice her eyes. One was blue and the other was green.

Drew placed his finger on the little girl. "This is Devine," he said.

Gordon raised his gaze and looked at him. He then looked back at the picture. Drew moved his finger slightly up so that his finger was now on the pretty lady.

"This is my wife, Melissa," he paused for a few seconds and then he added, "I mean, she was my wife."

Gordon did not know how to react. He remembered Devine saying something about her grandfather killing her mother. He remained quiet and simply stared at Drew.

"It all happened around thirty five years ago, yet, it feels like it happened yesterday," Drew spoke as he recalled his past.

"What really happened?" Gordon asked with curiosity.

Drew fixed his eyes straight and he started to move into a flashback. He remembered his old house. He saw the face of his wife, melissa, smiling while she braided the hair of their daughter, Devine. Devine looked around twenty one years old. She was sitting on the ground, in front of her mother who was in turn sitting on a chair and she was braiding Devine's hair. Devine was still a student. She was studying biochemistry in university. Drew came home from work and kissed his wife on her cheeks. Seeing his father back home, Devine excitedly stood up and hugged him tightly. They were a one happy family. Drew felt blessed.

However, it is said that with every blessing comes a curse. As days passed by, Drew noticed a drastic change in her wife. She was not talking too much. Usually, when Drew returned home, he would meet his wife in the kitchen or in the living room, but, now he had to search for her and most of the time, she would be in the basement. Everytime Drew called her name, she would take a few minutes to come upwards. One time, Drew was going to walk down the basement to see what she was doing, but, when Melissa heard his footsteps, she quickly climbed up. She would always keep the door to the basement locked and whenever Drew would ask about it, she would change the topic.

One day, Drew came home earlier and he had already taken off his shoes. He walked towards the door which led to the basement of the house. It was open. He could hear noises from downstairs. Out of curiosity, he walked nearer to the door and he stepped down two stairs. He could get a clear vision of whatever was happening in the basement. He felt a chill running down his spine when he saw skulls on the floor. There was a table on which he saw a person lying down and burning candles were placed all around him. His heart skipped a beat when he saw Melissa. She was standing in front of the table on which the person was lying down. Drew felt strange. The atmosphere was tensed. He could not understand what was happening.