43

"The immortal children were very beautiful," Carlisle explains showing Bella a book with images of these children

"The immortal children were very beautiful," Carlisle explains showing Bella a book with images of these children. "So enchanting, to be near them is to love them," Bella flips the pages. I hold onto Jasper's arms tightly looking at Alice who was next to Noah, you could see her mind moving a mile a minute. "But their development was frozen at the age where they were turned. They couldn't be taught or restrained," I thought back to the immortal child I had killed over a year and a half ago. The unforgivable cold that I saw reflecting back at me in his red eyes. "A single tantrum could destroy an entire village, humans heard about the devastation. Stories spread, the Volturi was forced to intervene. Since the children couldn't protect our secret, they had to be destroyed," My mind goes back to throwing the child into the fire, how they wasted no time in having me kill him. "Their creators grew very attached and fought to protect them. Long established covens were torn apart, countless humans slaughtered. Traditions, friends, even families, lost,"

"So the Denali's mother created an immortal child?" Bella asked

"Yes," Carlisle confirmed "And she paid the price,"

"Well Renesmee nothing like those children. She was born not bitten, she grows every single day,"

"So can't you just explain that to the Volturi," I scoffed out sardonic laughter

"No, they don't care," I answer "When I was with them, they had gotten a report of an immortal child. Aro asked me to go with Jane, Felix, and Alec to find him. When I did, he had killed 5 people and was feeding on the next. He was no more than 5," I closed my eyes "I was tasked with destroying him, and Jane destroyed the creator. The entire ordeal took no more than 15 minutes, they won't listen," I say the room grows darker "They won't listen," I whisper

"Aro has enough proof in Irina's thoughts,"

"So we fight," I shake my head again

"Their offensive weapons are too powerful," Jasper says

"Even with my powers we could never stop them in time," Noah speaks

"No one can stand against Jane," Jasper finishes

"Alec's even worse," Alice adds

"Well, then we convince them," Bella tries

"They're coming to kill us, not to talk," Emmett speaks up

"No, she's onto something," I whisper "Witnesses, we can call for witnesses,"

"Carlisle, you have friends all around the world," Edward says looking to his father figure who looks pained by the thought of putting his friends in danger.

"I won't ask them to fight," Edward shakes his head

"Not fight, witness, like Lilith said," I nod "If enough people knew the truth, maybe we could convince the Volturi to listen," The word maybe was the loudest word in that sentence.

"We can ask this of our friends," Esme speaks for the first time. I sigh knowing this was going to be an extremely trying time.