Chapter One(v4)

Chapter One

“Well Leon, how are you doing today?”

                Leon Arthur looked up at his therapist, who had his hands folded and was smiling at him in an irritating way. The calm man was older than he, with gentle wrinkles around his eyes. The couch Leon was sitting on was comfortable, despite that unnerving stare Dr. Cole was giving him. He had very white teeth, but Dr. Cole’s smile seemed aggressive to Leon.

                “Leon?”

                Leon looked up, then blinked at his doctor, slowly, to convey his disinterest.

                “Surely you can answer a question as simple as that.” Cole was still smiling but his voice came out exasperated. Whiny almost, though that could have been Leon’s imagination.

                “I’m doing fine.” Leon muttered.

                Cole’s smile was almost mocking. “Really. Because it appears as though you haven’t even showered yet.”

                Leon looked away, feeling both rage and embarrassment.

                “Have you eaten? Put a comb through your hair? I have some crackers here if you want them.”

                Leon resisted telling Cole to shut the hell up. “I’m here, aren’t I?” His voice had an edge to it, one that Cole couldn’t miss.

                “Yes, yes you are.” The smile he held was patronizing. “I suppose that’s better than nothing at all. So let’s talk, shall we? How are you holding up in general?”

                Leon scoffed at the question and shook his head.

                “Have you talked to your wife at all?”

                Leon ignored him.

                “Have you been going to work?”

                Leon found a crack on the wall very interesting.

                “Leon, please. I’m only trying to help you. It’s no good coming here if you aren’t even going to try.”

                “I am trying.” Leon grumbled.

                “Then let’s talk.”

                “I’m here.” He paused. “Even that’s difficult for me to do right now. But if you’re doing to shove in my face what a wreck I am then I don’t want to talk.”

                “Then perhaps you’d like to leave. Sitting here and staring at each other isn’t going to help anything.”

                Leon shrugged. He felt like a teenager again and hated it.

                “By the way, when Charlotte asks why you walked out of our session, what do you want me to tell her?”

                Leon winced. “I…”

                “What is it you want Leon? Don’t you want to move back in with your wife?”

                Leon was offended by the absurdity of the question. “Of course. That’s why I’m doing this.”