Chapter Eighteen(v3)

Chapter Eighteen

Daniel woke up the next morning in Philip's bed, and stretched his arms to the sky, fingers grasping the air as he yawned. He looked over at Philip, still asleep, and smiled to himself. He pecked Philip's cheek once, and got out of bed. Daniel allowed the peaceful morning to consume him for a moment, then grabbed a pair of gray sweats and walked downstairs. Sunshine filtered through the windows, and Daniel whistled a little tune. Everything was right with the world. Perhaps other couples couldn't survive through attempted murder, but Philip and Daniel had been through so much together that such a thing seemed trivial. They had survived the flock, and prison together. Both of their lives hadn't been easy, especially Philip's, but they both knew underneath everything they couldn't live without one another. It was strange perhaps, but it made sense to them and that was all that mattered. The event with Dante was over now, he was dead, and Daniel could finally move on with his life. They could live their life together.

Daniel cracked two eggs and emptied their insides on a pan. They sizzled, and crackled while Daniel watched with a growling stomach. They looked delicious. Daniel popped two English muffins in the toaster as well, and leaned against the counter, observing the food cook.

Of course, Daniel still had Alexander to worry about. That damned Alexander. He just couldn't go away, could he? Threatening him to spy on Leon. Stupid. Daniel considered telling Philip about the situation. They could easily move somewhere. It wasn't as though they couldn't afford it. Yet, he didn't want to worry Philip. Besides, it wasn't as though Alexander was asking Daniel to kill Leon. Only keep tabs on his whereabouts. He could do that. Daniel wondered what Leon was doing right now. Was he in that apartment, alone? Daniel sighed at the depressing thought. Hopefully not. He didn't go as far as to think he went to Haley's house, but he hoped that was where he was. That apartment was the very essence of Leon's misery and dark pain, as well as a bit of his insanity. Daniel shivered, and looked down at his arm where Leon had sliced the flesh.

The smell of the eggs alerted him that they were alarmingly close to burning. Daniel swept them up, and put each egg in between a muffin. He laid a piece of cheese on top of the egg. He took a cautious bite of one and smiled-delicious. He put them on a plate and walked up the stairs with them. Daniel peeked into the bedroom but Philip was not there. Daniel sighed. The computer already, so early in the morning? Couldn't they just enjoy the air once in a while? Daniel retraced his steps and next looked in Philip's study. There he was, shoulders hunched over the technological device. Daniel sighed, then smiled and approached him from behind. He put a hand around Philip's neck and nuzzled him.

"I brought you breakfast." He murmured with a little smirk.

Philip glanced over at him, and took the breakfast sandwich without a word. He munched on it absently, his eyes still focused on the computer screen.

"Come on Philip." Daniel called. "Look at me."

Philip obeyed, turning his head and staring into Daniel's eyes. "Good morning." He greeted.

"Good morning. How are you?"

"Well." Philip replied. "And you?"

"I need some painkillers." Daniel stated. "Everything's still sore as hell."

Philip's lips pursed in displeasure. "I'm sorry."

"Nah." Daniel grinned. "Don't worry about it." He couldn't blame Philip anymore, not when everything was so fantastic right now. He kissed Philip, and left him to his own devices. Daniel wandered through the grand house, practically overjoyed with simple life. No more was he stuck in Leon's garage or the barn. Everything was as it should be. Daniel was finally free.