Chapter Twenty Six(v3)

Chapter Twenty Six

Philip observed Daniel walking away at an even pace, partly smiling to himself. He hoped that Daniel and Leon possessed the ability to make amends. Leon's sanity rested in their hands right now. It was crucial that Philip keep Leon and his wife safe and alive. Especially Haley. At this moment, Leon's intention was to simply survive, and as long as Leon's intent wasn't ripping out Cale's throat, Philip was content. However, this new twist of occurrences caused a whole new set of problems. Philip didn't know whether Cale was after Leon, and truthfully, Philip didn't care. His one and only ambition was to keep Cale safe. If Leon's wife was killed, Leon's grasp of sanity would dissipate. And Cale would be the person Leon would go after first. And that was why Philip was protecting Leon, regardless of their past actions.

With Daniel healing his troubles with Leon, Philip now had one more thing to attend to. He thought about informing Daniel about his departure, then decided against it. Daniel probably wouldn't approve of his destination. It wasn't only Cale's apartment that Daniel loathed, but Cale himself. Daniel didn't understand. Perhaps now and then Cale could express some disturbing behavior, but Cale shared his flesh and blood. Cale was his older brother, and despite everything Philip loved him. Besides, he and Cale had gone through everything together. Everything, from the very beginning.

Philip entered through the garage and hopped into his baby, a Ferrari 599 Gtb. Perhaps the car was a bit too showy and luxurious, but Philip owned the money to pay for it, and he had a love of technology in all forms. He could stare at that car's engine all day, and there was nothing like the thrill of pressing that accelerator and feeling all that power resting at his fingertips. Just being in it made his heart thump with appreciation. This piece of machinery was something marvelous and beautiful. Philip paused. Perhaps it would be foolish to take such a priceless gem to Cale's apartment. Someone would be sure to key it out of jealousy. Philip bit his lip. With a small sigh, he got out of the car and switched to an older mustang, which he had fixed up himself. He engine rumbled under his hand, and Philip smiled to himself. Although he preferred the Ferrari, there was something about this car he was always fond of. Perhaps it was the fact he had built it with his own two hands that gave him the immense feeling of satisfaction when he handled the beast under his small hand.

Philip hadn't visited Cale at his apartment in an extraordinary amount of time. Philip couldn't conceive of a reason to visit his brother. Cale was always the one who came to this house, and the extremely high majority of the time this was simply to make use of Philip's computer expertise. But, as Leon probably wouldn't take too well to an appearance from Cale, Philip needed to warn him to stay away. The last thing he needed was that sort of confrontation between the two.

Philip briefly considered letting Cale in at night to kill Leon. That would cure all of his problems. But he couldn't do that-Daniel wouldn't appreciate it. He had already seen the product of his meddling, and wanted to stay away from it at all costs.

Philip looked out his window and noticed that the scenery grew less and less attractive to the eye. The more he drove, the more glum everything looked, from the people to the buildings. These people lived in squalor. Philip clicked his tongue. He was almost tempted to give Cale money, but knew it would do no good. Besides, poverty was the life Cale knew. Philip remembered when he had run away with Cale, and they were homeless. Perhaps they had nothing, but there had been something exciting about the situation, travelling from one place to another with all the freedom one could wish for.

Philip wondered what his mother and father would think about this whole situation. Would they be proud? Displeased? Philip hardly remembered what they looked like, couldn't hear their voices anymore. It had been too long.