Chapter Twenty Four(v3)

Chapter Twenty Four

Daniel watched sullenly as Philip showed Leon and Haley where their rooms were and gave them a tour of the grand mansion. He felt like a child whose mother's new boyfriend was moving in. He didn't want Leon here. Leon was dangerous, and he didn't deserve this kind of treatment. Leon might act as though he only wanted to be normal, but underneath it he still had a thirst for revenge. Daniel could sense it. And no agreement between Leon and Philip would stop that darker side of Leon from emerging if something incited it. When that happened Daniel wanted to be as far away as possible. However, this wasn't his house. It was Philip's, and for that reason Philip had the last say. Daniel wished more than anything that Leon wasn't here. He felt as though Leon had injected himself into his life once again, and although Daniel no longer had anything personal against Leon, at the same time he didn't want Leon around. Leon and Haley possessed their own room (an enormous one at that), and bathroom. In the old days Philip had needed the space in case someone needed a place to stay. Once Philip had closed the door to let them settle Daniel took his arm and led him to a room. After he closed the door he turned to the little boy.

"What the hell are you doing?" Daniel demanded.

"I don't understand what you're referring to." Philip stated evenly.

"Why are you letting him stay? The guy's a nutcase! A lunatic!"

"Daniel, don't you understand that this is his best chance of recovery? This is the only way of saving him from losing his mind."

"What are you talking about?"

"Daniel, think about this. Leon needs to attain normality. If he doesn't get past his son's death, it will eat away at him. Now this threat is a danger to his sensibility. Not only has this confirmed his delusion, but is now a menace to Haley. He needs somewhere safe to access the situation."

"And you think here is best?"

"Yes, I do. Here, I can make sure Leon doesn't try and kill my brother in the ill attempt to avenge his son's death and protect his wife."

"What if Leon loses his mind and decides that one of us would be a good choice to attack?"

"What if we refuse him? You really think he'll just go away without a fight?"

Daniel opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again. Philip was right. Leon wouldn't just accept the refusal. He would do anything to protect Haley, and wasn't above any sort of blackmail to get it. Daniel gritted his teeth. "So we're just going to let him stay there?"

"I believe that would be the plan."

"And what am I supposed to do?"

Philip shrugged. "Why don't you take him out for a drink?"

"How would that help?" Daniel couldn't believe Philip was suggesting something so idiotic.

"You could access Leon's mental stability, and gain his trust. I believe you two need some time to work out your issues."

"Or I could pretend that he doesn't exist." Daniel knew he was acting immature, but this wasn't fair. This wasn't just supposed to be Leon's new start. It was also meant to be Daniel's. All Daniel wanted was a normal life. He wanted to put his past, and the flock, behind him. He just wanted to be with Philip and forget about everything else. It was so simple, yet so unattainable.