Chapter Forty Eight(v3)

Chapter Forty Eight

Philip watched Daniel out of the corner of his eye as he sat on a stool at the kitchen's counter. Although he pretended not to notice, Daniel had frozen up again in the midst of making sandwiches for lunch. His expression was blank, thought there was a subtle terrified feeling to them, hidden in their depths. Philip clicked his tongue in displeasure, waiting and hoping for Daniel to come back. This was the third time so far this week this week that Daniel had succumbed to this. Philip wasn't sure exactly what it was, whether Daniel's brain simply turned off, if he was having a panic attack, or something else entirely, but he was sure that this thing wasn't going to simply go away. In fact, it seemed to be getting worse.

Philip hopped off his stool and cautiously approached Daniel. He didn't know whether or not he should try to snap Daniel out of his hypnosis. Sometimes he got a wild-eyed expression when he was revived. Philip was starting to worry Daniel would hurt him, like when one tried to wake someone having night terrors.

Daniel blinked, and he was back. He frowned for a moment, as though he was frustratedly confused, and Philip took a few steps back, retreating. He longed to make sure Daniel was alright, but held his tongue. Daniel turned, and looked at Philip as though he was a stranger. Then he took a look around the kitchen and sighed.

"Are you going to sell it?" he asked.

"Hm?"

"The house. Are you going to sell it?"

Philip shrugged. Although it was be more advantageous to sell his house, Philip was extremely reluctant to do so. This place was actually a home for him, the first where he didn't fear for his life. It was him, in a sense, with every corner perfectly tailored for him, and to leave it tore him apart. But Daniel was losing his mind here. He was paranoid, convinced that Alexander would find him. When his brain wasn't a vegetable that is. Philip knew that Daniel wouldn't last much longer here. He'd surely lose his mind, and so his only chance was to run. Philip hated leaving his home, but he'd do it for his love. Even if his love was different than the person he once knew, he'd stick by him. After everything they had done together, they'd do this too. Philip was willing to do anything for his counterpart, and make any sacrifice.

"You don't..." Daniel paused. "You don't have to go with me you know."

Philip nodded. Of course he knew.

"Are you sure you want to go?"

Philip nodded again.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "I just can't take this anymore."

"I understand." The words came out meek yet tender. He heard Daniel tossing and turning at night, too scared to sleep, convinced that Alexander would come for him.

Daniel looked at Philip, and somehow Philip knew what his expression meant. 'Help me' it said, 'I'm going insane. I don't know what's happening to me'.

Philip wished, beyond anything, that he could help Daniel. He wished they could at least talk about this, but in words Daniel refused to admit there was a problem. Which damned them, as they couldn't get help. He looked at Daniel's face for a moment more, then looked down, as he couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't see that turmoil behind Daniel's eyes. It hurt too much.

"This will be good." Philip stated plainly. "Alexander doesn't have the funds we do. He won't be able to find you."

"Yeah," Daniel agreed without much emotion. "I'm sure you're right."