Chapter Four(v4)

Chapter Four

Leon waited in a dark alleyway, across from his car and next to the bar. Daniel’s favorite bar, unless he had found something he liked better since. He knew that Daniel was in there, had spotted him through a window. Now he only had to wait for Daniel to come out, which might take a while, if he still drank as much as he used to. Leon leaned against the wall patiently, keeping his eye trained on those who walked past. Most of them didn’t see him. Those who did glanced away quickly and walked to their car cautiously, scared he would try to rob them. Leon flashed back to the time he was in the flock. For the first time in half a decade he felt dangerous again. He wondered if Daniel was the same as before, and how he’d react to Leon’s sudden appearance. Leon heard the door close, and looked over to see that head of copper hair he couldn’t help but recognize. Seeing that head brought a whirl of emotions, but somehow happiness was the most prominent one. He had missed Daniel’s company, even though it was possible Daniel was Clay’s killer. Leon doubted it, but Daniel could be as savage as the rest of them when he had to. Leon’s actions hadn’t probably rubbed Daniel the right way.

               “Finch.” Leon called.

               Daniel automatically looked over, as used to his nickname as his real one. He squinted in the darkness, trying to make out Leon’s face. “Who’s there?” he asked.

               “The sparrow wants a word with you.” Leon told him with slight amusement.

               “The sparrow? Or the rat?” Daniel smirked darkly.

               Leon took out a pistol and pointed it at Daniel. “Get in the blue car behind you.”

               “A gun Leon? We haven’t seen each other in five years, and in the first two minutes you see me you already have a gun in my face?”

               “I’m not kidding around.” Leon’s voice rumbled dangerously. “Get in the car.”

               Daniel’s eyebrow rose, and his mouth flattened into a puzzled expression, staring at Leon intently. “You better not shoot me with that fucking thing.” He finally told Leon, then took the passenger seat in the car.

               Same old Daniel. Leon was somewhat relieved to find that he hadn’t changed. Leon sat in the driver’s seat, and drove home with his hostage. He was concentrating on the road, less to think too much about what he was doing.

               “So what’s this about?” Daniel asked grumbling, as though this situation was perfectly normal.

               Leon remained silent. He didn’t know what to say, and didn’t want to scare Daniel off by starting to question him already. Daniel didn’t know that this trip was all business, and if he did, who knew how he would react. 

               Leon could feel Daniel’s eyes study him silently, surely curious as to what all this was about. But did he already know? Probably not. He would have run or fought the second he saw Leon if that was the case. Still, there was a chance that he was the killer, or that he at least had something to do with Clay’s death. Leon pulled into the apartment complex’s parking lot.

               “We both know I can kick your ass.” Leon muttered to Daniel. “So don’t try anything.”

               Daniel smirked deviously. “Maybe I’ve been working out since you saw me last. When was that? In the paper maybe while sipping your morning coffee?”