Chapter Thirty Seven(v3)

Iris sat before a map of the city, marking off random areas while watching the sparrow from the corner of her eye. The places were completely random. Of course she hadn't any real 'leads', because she knew exactly where Cale, Daniel, and the real murderer Alexander were hiding. It was so easy, running him around in circles, buying time for Alexander, messing with his emotions. It was child's play.

She knew he was staring at her. His mouth hung open only a fraction. Iris chuckled to herself. She wondered what he was thinking about. Those endless nights so long ago? He may pretend that he didn't care for her in any way, but she knew that look. There was part of him in there, no matter how much he may deny it, that still loved her. She was sure that as soon as Leon's defenses were lowered, as time passed by, he'd fall for her again. He wouldn't even see it coming. He wouldn't be able to stop it. It would hit him like a train.

She smiled slyly at Leon, watching him blush and look down as he did so. Iris chuckled to herself, and continued scribbling nonsense on the map.

He would be hers again. It was only a matter of time. She frowned to herself, thinking about Alexander. Her purpose here was not to win Leon back. It was to ruin his life.

Iris swallowed. She didn't want to destroy him. Being the stupid idiot she was, part of her still cared for him. Part of her would take him back without a moment's hesitation. But she knew that couldn't happen with Alexander holding the reins. His goal was to kill Leon. Hardly the happily ever after Iris wanted if they did get back together.

And even if they didn't end up together, Iris didn't want to be in any way responsible for his death. He was one of the few men who saw more than ass, tits, and a pretty face.

Get ahold of yourself Girl, she instructed. This is the man who sent you to jail, remember?

That was right. She was in prison for five years because of him. And now what was she doing? Falling for him again? I'm not falling for him, she argued with herself. Besides, this is what Alexander wanted me to do. He knew that her simply being in the situation would set Leon in a tailspin.

She sighed. She knew that she was supposed to mess with Leon's life, make him doubt himself, and she enjoyed it immensely. Whether or not he showed interest in her, she couldn't help but feel gleeful when he gave her those tortured little glances. However, she didn't want to be responsible for his demise. She didn't want to kill him. She didn't want any part in killing him. The reason for that didn't matter.

Leon abruptly raised his phone to his ear, and Iris realized it had been vibrating. He said some things that were meaningless to her, hung up and sighed. There was a distant worried look to his eyes. He glanced in her direction.

"You have to go." He told her.

"Why would that be?" she asked curiously.

Leon smiled, as though she had said something amusing. "The police are coming soon. I don't want to look like some bastard obviously cheating on his wife."

Iris felt a shiver of pleasure run through her at the thought. The less sensible part of her would love nothing better.

"You're still a member of the flock right?"

"What few of us there are left." She replied. Cale, her, and Alexander.

"Then get out of here." He hissed. "For your sake. As a criminal you shouldn't just be standing around while there are cops in the house."