Chapter Sixteen(v3)

Chapter Sixteen

Daniel blinked, realizing he had been daydreaming for some time now. He glanced in Leon's direction, who had a stupid grin plastered on his face, overjoyed to be out of that hellhole. Daniel wished he could feel the same; he didn't know why he didn't share Leon's excitement. He felt hollow inside. Empty. Like one of those poor soulless people returning from a prison camp.

Leon laughed abruptly, a booming sound that echoed throughout the car. He met Daniel's gaze.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

Daniel smiled feebly. "Yeah." His mind replayed the events of the last two days. He recalled Dante's merciless eyes, his vicious sneer. One second, a gun had been in front of his face, the trigger ready. Then, in a blink, Dante was dead. How nearly Daniel had been the one to fall, Dante the one to live. And now they were sitting in what could possibly be Dante's car, a bit bruised but alive. It seemed impossible.

"Are you sure he's really dead?" he asked.

Leon paused for a moment. "Yes." His face evened out. "There's no-one I know who can live through two shots to the head."

That statement, anomalously, was the one that caused Daniel to break. Tears streamed down his cheeks. Leon remained silent, patiently waiting for Daniel's crying to cease. Finally, it ceased into quite sniffles, its energy worn out, leaving Daniel's cheeks red in embarrassment. Daniel was hysterical from what had happened to him, while Leon was calm, yet Leon had suffered through so much more than he had. Daniel was being stupid, a foolish wreck, and he knew it. He wished he hadn't behaved so pitifully. He wished he could have been proud, strong, and courageous like Leon.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly.

The wind whistled through the shattered windows.

Leon's face formed a puzzled expression. "What are you sorry for?"

Daniel blinked, staring out the window. "For the way I acted." He answered sullenly.

Leon's mouth softened. "Daniel, you've been through an extremely traumatic experience. It's perfectly fine, even expected for you to behave the way you did."

Daniel couldn't meet Leon's eyes. "Leon, I begged for my life. Don't you understand? I looked that monster in the eyes and I sobbed and pleaded with him not to hurt me. I was weak."

"Anyone would have done the same."

"You didn't." he retorted.

Leon exhaled a sigh. "Well, I'm not quite the normal person, am I?" he shook his head, his hands tightly on the wheel. "Don't you remember my role in the flock?" Leon stared at Daniel with dark eyes, and Daniel unwillingly shivered. Leon continued. "I'm a murderer. I tortured people Daniel. I cut them open, watched their blood fall, and smiled when they screamed." He looked away, as though ashamed. "It was only business. I didn't take pleasure in it. Yet, it was still done. I...I'm a despicable person." He sighed again. "You have no idea what I wouldn't give to be you."

"What do you mean?"

"I envy you Daniel. Your life is perfect, or so it was before I came along. It might have taken a gang and jail, but I really do think you've figured life out. And you have no luggage from your past to weigh you down. Any moment, the police could find one of the bodies and I could be in prison for life. I look at Haley, and I wonder how I can be such a horrible person. Not only am I a murderer, but my own wife doesn't know. And I keep her in the dark. How sick and twisted is that?" he gave Daniel a little morbid smile.