Chapter 20: Partners In Crime

Chresanto’s POV

I got to Janelle’s house faster than I thought I would. After I left the boys, I called for a cab to the airport and took a quick flight (accompanied by last-minute security, of course) to LA. Then when I got there, I rushed to the house like never before. My fingers were shaking as I typed the text to send her.

I waited outside the house for a few minutes. My confidence was weakening. What if I was too late? What if her father got crazy and actually hit her? If that’s the case, I wouldn’t be able to live with it. I’d…I’d…I don’t know.

Suddenly my phone vibrated lightly in my pocket. I quickly looked at the text I’d just received.

New Text; Jay-Jay-

I’m not home right now, but I’m close…I’m near Alpine Street. Meet me halfway?

I texted back saying I was on my way. I lowered my bag on my back and started walking toward where Janelle said she was.

“Oh, hi Chresanto. I haven’t seen you in a while.” Janelle’s mother said to me as I approached them. I wasn’t expecting her to be here.

I smiled. “Hi, Ms. Stevenson.”

“How are the rest of the boys doing?” Ms. Stevenson asked. Janelle was avoiding eye contact with both of us.

“They’re fine.” I said. I wasn’t sure how they were doing though. They were probably worried sick about where I was, given that we had a concert in 3 hours. But I couldn’t think about that. If I thought about it too long, I would change my mind about helping Janelle.

“Mama, me and Chresanto are going to catch a movie. We have to go quickly to get good seats.” Janelle said to her mother. I caught on to what she was doing.

“You’re going to the movies wearing just that?” Her mother asked. Janelle was wearing a black t-shirt, an army jacket, black jeans, and Jordan’s. “That’s a little tomboyish to be going to the movies.”

“I’ll be fine, Mama. Let’s go.” Janelle walked toward me.

“If you want to come back in the house to change, that’s fine.” Ms. Stevenson offered. Janelle looked at her long and hard, and went up to her mother and hugged her tight.

“I’ll be fine, Mama. I love you.” She said. Ms. Stevenson hugged her back and went toward her house, and then me and Janelle started walking in the opposite direction. Janelle didn’t talk for a while; she waited until we turned the corner for her to start talking.

“How’d you get here?” She asked.

“Plane and cab.” I said.

“That was quick.” Janelle remarked.

“I was in the same state as you. It wasn’t that far away.” I replied. Then it was quiet for a while as we walked toward Olympic Boulevard.

“Thanks for coming, Chresanto.” She said softly. I sighed, just realizing how tired I was from the trip. I pulled Janelle closer, putting my arm around her.

“You’re welcome…but now that I’m here, we need to talk.” I said to her.

“About what?”

“Well first of all, what was happening at your house when you called me?” I asked.

“Yesterday when Bianca and I got back home, we found out that my Daddy isn’t really her Daddy. So we’re not related at all. Chyna slept with some random guy and got pregnant with Bianca. Bianca was mad because no one had told her earlier, so she ran away. Now Daddy’s mad at Chyna for making Bianca upset, and he threw a temper tantrum. He’s cool now, though.” She explained.