Chapter 7: The Promise

Janelle’s POV

I can’t tell you how upset I was the next day when I woke up and Daddy and Bianca were in that kitchen with Mama, eating breakfast.

First of all, nobody opened their mouths and called me to tell me that Mama had not only made breakfast, but made GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES—my favorite thing to eat since birth. Second of all, yesterday with Mindless Behavior was bad enough because Bianca was throwing herself at Princeton. But why does my nightmare have to be prolonged? Why does she still have to be here?

I stood in the entryway to the kitchen for a few seconds, shifting my weight from foot-to-foot and waiting until one of my family members would turn around and notice that there was another human being alive in this house.

Junior was the first one to turn around. When he saw me, he probably noticed the expression on my face—anger, irritation, and the list goes on—so he quickly tapped Mama on her shoulder.

“Oh, hey baby. You woke up.” She said to me, picking up a piece of bread from the plate in front of her.

“Yeah, I woke up.” I murmured. I walked toward the table; all the breakfast was gone. It wasn’t even really the freaking breakfast that got me mad—it was the fact that Bianca was here, when she was supposed to be with her mother playing ‘Who Can Be The Biggest Slut?’

I was Tyga’s daughter, not her. She was just the other kid. She wasn’t supposed to be here. This wasn’t her place.

And Daddy was supposed to realize that.

“So, did you make me some food Mama?” I asked her, taking the seat next to her. I glanced at everyone at the table; they were all silent and their gaze was directly on their food. No one looked at me, no one spoke to me.

“Yeah I made you food. But you were asleep.” She said. By the look on her face and the way she said that, I knew exactly what had happened. She woke up and Daddy was on the phone with Chyna, who needed somewhere to drop of Bianca while she went to go be a bad mother. So Daddy, who was trying to please Chyna, told Chyna to drop Bianca off here so she could have breakfast with us. Mama wasn’t pleased, but she was trying to please Daddy. So because of everybody trying to please everybody, I have no breakfast.

“How come you didn’t say good morning, Janelle?” Daddy asked. I just spun around a few times in that rotating stool, and tried my best to ignore him. He asked a few times, and then when they saw I was ignoring him, Bianca shook her head and giggled a bit. Of course, she was enjoying this, seeing me upset.

I got up from the chair and began walking away. I wouldn’t sit there with those hypocrites any longer. But before I walked out of the kitchen, I looked back at my father. “If I’d told you ‘good morning’ I would be lying. This is far from a good morning.”

                                                                         III

I took a walk.

I brought a North Face backpack filled with a jacket, water, an iPod, Mama’s pocket bible, my phone, and a few other things to keep me occupied. I was leaving. Not running away—I would never leave a mansion and a family for the street life—but I was just leaving for the night to scare my parents into loving me again.

I walked down Oakridge Street, passing all the big pretty houses that were filled with celebrities just like my father. I heard that Tupac’s cousin lived nearby, but people were always making up rumors about Tupac.

I was about to cross the street near the busy parkway when I felt a vibration in my bag. I took the bag off my bag and pulled out the phone from one of the pockets.