Chapter 30: Burden

Chresanto’s POV:

“Now that my friends are here, everything will be alright. Now that my friends are here, everything will be just fine!”

My pencil broke.

“Now that my friends are here, we’re going to take the city. Now that my friends are here, they can come right with me!”

“Ray, will you SHUT UP?” I screamed at him. He gave me a shocked look, and then sucked his teeth. He muttered something about trying to cheer me up, but I ignored him and continued writing. Sean and I had tons of homework to do. But since the guys just got here, they don’t have to do anything yet.

They could at least have a little bit of consideration.

I looked over my notes on meiosis about a thousand times, but it still made no sense to me. I remembered doing things like that before I left school for the group, but this was way harder. It was like they didn’t want anyone to pass.

“We should try to think about how we’re going to break out of here.” Prod said in the midst of the silence. Sean was in his room doing homework, so we had privacy to talk about this. If he was with us, though, we wouldn’t be able to even mention escaping. It’s too risky. I couldn’t tell if we could trust him yet.

You guys should think about that. I’m barely able to concentrate on this.” I replied.

“So you’re not going to help at all?”

“No, at least not now. Can’t y’all see I’m busy?” I said, getting a little frustrated with three talkative guys in my room while I’m doing homework. They obviously would not stop. The only way I could get some peace is if they leave.

“Yes, but there are other things—more important things—that we have to talk about.” Prince said. I shook my head.

“Well one of you start off without me. I’ll join in at some point.” I lied. I had no intention of including myself in this conversation. If anything, the most logical plan would be to pass this semester with good grades. That’s how my mother told me I’d be able to get out. If I want to do that, finishing this homework will help.

“We’ll start off. But I just want you to know that you have more to think about than us. You have to think about getting yourself out of here, and Janelle. So, good luck.” Ray-Ray said frankly. I stopped writing then. He was right. I hadn’t even given a thought to that whole situation yet.

I’d never tell him he was right, though. So I continued to ignore them and kept doing my homework, right up until I was called to the dean’s office with Sean.

                                                        * * *

Sean looked nervous. I wasn’t even worried until I saw him biting on his lip and pulling at loose threads on his sleeve. Then it dawned upon me—could this really be serious? Should I really be worried?

No. The best thing to do is to stay calm, and hope for the best.

“We’ll be cool, Sean. You don’t have to worry.” I told him, nudging him in his side. He nodded instead of denying his nervousness like I thought he would. As the minutes passed by, I realized that maybe we wouldn’t even get to see the dean. He’s a busy man. He must have gotten busy with other things. We’ll probably just—

“Sean Mayborne and Chresanto August? The dean is ready for you in his office.”  The secretary said with a mechanical smile. Dang.

We both stood up out of the chairs reluctantly, and strolled over to the office. I could tell Sean was doing what I was doing. He was pretending to be completely calm, just as I was. But when I walked into Mr. Jackson’s office, seeing his relaxed face, I relaxed too.