Chapter 5: Like A Boss

Janelle’s POV

My visit with the boys—despite the fact that my father didn’t accompany me—went great. They were all really nice, especially the one with the afro. He was cute, too.

I blushed as I wrote that down in my diary.

The one with the big black afro was the most special. He had the nicest eyes and smile…He was just so charming! I think his name is Jacob. But he calls himself Princeton. Like I said, he’s really charming. I haven’t met a boy that I think is that cute in a while.

Then I heard footsteps coming down the hall, so I closed the diary quickly and stuffed it under my pillow just in time for my mother and father to come into my room, smiling with each other. Things have been going a little bit okay with him now that he’s back.

I guess it’s because I haven’t been speaking to him.

“Baby I have to go to work. Your father will be here with you, so he’ll take you out if you want to go somewhere.” My mother said. She was wearing khaki suit pants and an ivory cardigan, ready to go to her job as an Interior Designer. She made people’s houses look nicer.

“Okay, have a good day.” I said. She came over and kissed me on the cheek, kissed Daddy, and made her way out. Then the door closed.

“I’ll be right back.” Daddy said to me. In a few seconds, Junior came into the room with my father behind him. Junior sat next to me. It was about one in the afternoon, which was the time that Junior was usually out. But he was on punishment.

“So where do y’all want to go? I’m not just gonna sit in the house bored with you.” Daddy said, scratching his head as he took a seat next to Junior and I on the bed.

“I want to go see my friends. But you and Mama seem to think that’s such a horrible thing to do, so whatever.” Junior said sourly.

“Don’t be talking like that. Everything your Mama does is for your safety.” Daddy said to him. Then he looked at me.

“What about you? You got anywhere you wanna go?” He asked. I was just thinking of what I could possibly do when Daddy’s phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and a smirk crept onto his lips.

“Ay,” he said in a low voice. There was a pause while the person on the other line spoke. “You’re where?” Pause. “Ight, cool. I’ll text you when I’m ready.” Then he hung up the phone.

“Okay, I know where we’re gonna go.” He said. I smiled a little bit. Maybe that was someone from the studio on the phone and Daddy had to go there and see somebody about signing them to Last Kings. I liked it when Daddy took us to the studio. I loved watching those rappers work.

But where Daddy planned on taking us was not the studio, and was not somewhere I wanted to be.

“Hi, Junior.” She said, using her left hand to give him a slow wave. Junior smiled at Bianca, and walked up to her and hugged her tightly. Bianca’s mother, Chyna, stood next to her daughter. Daddy walked up to her and hugged her. He was about to embrace her into one of those long, romantic hugs, so I started walking back toward our house.

“Wait Janelle, where you going?” He called after me.

“I’m not feeling too well. I’ll just stay home.” I called after him. I wanted to say, “I’m not in the mood to hang out with the woman that you got pregnant at the same time you got Mama pregnant, and I’m definitely not in the mood to hang out with your daughter from another woman, who is trying to date my brother, which is disgusting.”