Chapter 12 - Close Call

"Where's your boss?"

"I don't know," the man replied while gasping for air.

I shook my head and continued strangling him from behind. He then starts patting my arms, begging for mercy.

"Enough with the lies. You know I can snap your neck any moment now."

But instead of answering, he hit my body with his elbow. Unfortunately for him, it was so weak that it barely hurt me.

Annoyed, I unwrapped my arms and grabbed his neck with my right hand.

"Adios." I whispered before throwing him into the distance.

He hit against the concrete wall and broke his bones, which caused him to die in an instant.

I should leave this camp, but I can't let these bandits roam around killing innocent survivors wherever they want.

I need to get rid of this place.

It's already nighttime. There's not that much of a light source anywhere except for the moonlight shining through the holes in the ceiling and an oil lamp nearby. I walked towards it and killed the flames, making the vicinity dark.

I'm at an abandoned construction site, which I believe was supposed to be a mall or something. I have no idea. However, it is an ideal location for establishing a camp because there is plenty of space, which will undoubtedly attract other survivors. I guess that's why they chose it in the first place—to kill and rob anyone that would try to enter.

Typical bandits.

"Anybody here?" Another guy called. He points his flashlight in my direction and starts walking.

I crouched, hid behind a broken cement wall, and slowly made my way into his position.

"Uh, did you assign someone to guard the woman?" the guy asked on his transceiver.

"I assigned one person to guard her. Is there a problem?" the voice from the transceiver replied.

"Yeah, well, I don't see anyone, and also, it's damn dark in here. Good thing I have my flashlight."

"안녕" (Annyeong/Hello). I said under my breath as I charged towards him from the darkness.

I grabbed his neck from behind and took him with me as I ran towards a wall. Blood splattered everywhere after his face bashed against the concrete barrier, creating a crackling sound.

"You still there? The hell was that?" the voice from the transceiver asked.

It's the same voice as the woman with glasses earlier. Is she the one running this camp?

I picked it up and clicked a button.

"This place is going down." I replied before smashing the transceiver with a forceful grip.

It didn't take long before my action had results.

I took the rifle from the guy's corpse and carried it with me as I hid behind the bags of cement piled nearby— listening to the footsteps of people running towards the scene.

Alright, this is going to be a bloody night.

They turned their flashlights on, and I can hear them murmuring. I took a peek and saw one of them entering the room where they held me captive.

"What the hell happened here?" he asked.

"The door's broken. Maybe she used something to force it."

"Perhaps, but what's bugging me right now are those two."