Chapter 32 - Trosta's last stand

* * *

A few minutes before the raid began, the people in Trosta were busy with their usual lives, unaware of what was about to happen—not until the people guarding the hunting towers of the camp noticed something from the line of trees a couple of meters away.

It was Jairus and his men, marching. In front was Miya. Her hands are tied up, and blood stain can be seen on her face.

Through their binoculars, they recognized Miya's face. That's when they reported the situation back to their chief, David.

"Are you sure it's her?" David inquired after hearing the details.

"I am, and it looks like she's their hostage," the man clarified.

They walked towards the front gate and then climbed onto one of the hunting towers.

After giving him the binoculars, David could only release a deep sigh before patting the shoulder of the man beside him.

"Hide the young ones and get everybody else armed. Until then, wait for my signal," he instructed.

"W-What are you going to do?"

"I'll try talking to those people," he said before looking through the binoculars one last time. "I just hope we come up with some kind of agreement."

They both climbed down from the hunting tower when Zachia and Rachelle approached him.

"The hell is going on? Everyone's panicking." Zachia asked.

"We have a large group of survivors outside. They have guns, lots of guns," he explained.

"Then we should just shoot them from here. We're safe inside the walls." Rachelle suggested.

"We can't."

"What? Why?" she wondered.

"They got Miya as a hostage. I don't know what's going on, but I don't see Zack and Zy with her. Something must've happened while they were scouting."

The two women stood in place after hearing what he said.

"Zack and Zy... they can't be dead, right?" Zachia asked.

David didn't say a word and just gave her a sigh as a response.

Suddenly, a loud voice coming from a megaphone outside the camp caught everyone's attention.

"Hello, Hello! Test microphones, one, two, three. Can you all hear me there?" a man announced. It was Jairus.

"That's too loud." Rachelle mumbles.

"We don't have time. Get yourselves armed." David said, signaling someone to open the gates.

"And where do you think you're going?" Anna, David's wife, asked.

"Outside?"

Her left eyebrow raised. "And why?"

"To talk to them."

"Did you not see how many guns they possess? You can't trust those people, David," she argued, signaling the men to stop opening the gates.

"Then what do you want me to do? Just sit here until they kill Miya?"

"David, they stopped." the guy from the hunting tower said.

"Hey! I can see two guys up there on those towers of yours. Would someone please tell them to lower their guns? We're not here to mess with you. We just want to get this woman back to her camp." Jairus announced through the megaphone.