Chapter 20 - Rumors

There was silence for a good couple of seconds. I just stood there staring at David after hearing what he said.

"I don't know what's going on with that woman's mind, but going out of the camp at this hour is extremely dangerous."

She did leave...

"What about the people guarding the gate? Shouldn't they prevent her from leaving the camp?"

"Those bunch of fools believed her lies. She tricked them, saying that I assigned her to guard the river tonight. Bullshit!"

Anna joined us and patted David's shoulder.

"I just checked her cabin, and it's empty. I mean, all the masks that she and her father made before were still hanging on the walls, but her belongings... I couldn't find any. Not even a single shirt in the cabinet."

David turned his back on us and then left our side.

Not in the mood to talk, huh?

"Jeez, this is troubling. Hey, any idea why Rizza left?" Anna asked, which switched my attention to her.

"No..." I replied. She pauses for a second, then nods.

"I see. You can go back to your room and get some rest. It's almost midnight," she said and walked away.

Crap, now what?

Left without a choice, I went back inside and found Rachele having an arm wrestling match against Zachia.

"What's going on here?"

"Oh, we're just killing time—hey! No fair!" Rachelle complained as Zachia slammed her arm on the table after she got distracted.

"Your grip loosened, so I took the chance." Zachia proudly said.

"Never mind. Anyway, I thought you went to see Rizza? You left just like a minute ago, and now you're back already." Rachelle wondered.

"I'm sleepy," was all I said before heading upstairs to my room.

I wouldn't mind explaining to them what actually happened, but I'm too tired right now. I'll let them know about the situation themselves.

I didn't waste a second and jumped on my bed while staring at the walkie-talkie beside me.

I have a lot of questions, Dean...

- - -

The following day came. Rachelle and Zachia soon heard the news about Rizza leaving the camp, and they're wondering what made her come up with such a decision. That goes for me too.

Everything that she told me yesterday—was it the truth? If yes, then she really left the camp to run away from the crimes she did to everyone here in Trosta.

"No, she must be lying," I mumbled.

"Are you good?" Rachelle asked. She must've heard me.

"Y-yeah, I'm just wondering what stuff I should do for today."

"I think you should see the farm. They need some help since there are a couple of stray infected lurking around the fences," she suggested.

"Join the clean-up crew? Alright, that's better than spending my entire day lying on the bed." I shoved the last spoonful of food in my mouth and looked around. "Where's Zachia?"

"David assigned her to guard the gates this time. He said that he needs someone who cannot be tricked by such made-up stories easily."

Huh. So he learned his lesson from last night.