Chapter 29 - The Calm Before the Storm

This is bad. We didn't expect Jairus to make a move sooner than we expected.

"I need Aaron's presence here," Kauri said while rummaging through her belongings.

"I'll go get him." Rose volunteered.

Kauri gave her a nod and grabbed something in her bag. It's a paper.

"We'll have to wait until Jairus and his so-called crew leave the gates. Half of the camp's population will go on the raid, leaving this place less guarded. That's when we'll strike."

"What about Trosta? I can't just stay here while Jairus raids them. They will kill everyone there." I reasoned.

"I know that, Cyra, but I need you to focus on helping us get rid of this place first." She placed the paper on top of the table and looked at me. "Also, you still have friends locked up in the bunker, right? Are you going to leave them behind?"

"N-No. Of course not."

"Friends? What are you two talking about?" Dean wondered.

"Three people from Trosta were captured last night... Jairus killed one of them and locked the other two inside the bunker." Kauri explained.

"That bastard. Then we better settle things here quick and follow Jairus before he reaches Trosta," he suggested.

"Hold your horses and listen to me first. The room where Jairus previously locked both of you has a ten-digit push-button lock." Kauri then points at the paper and stares at us. "This here is the combination that will set your friends free. Now, Dean, I want you to help Cyra in rescuing her pals."

"You don't have to tell me that. I'll always be by her side," he replied.

His words made my chest skip a beat for some reason.

Damn it, focus Cyra.

"Alright, once you two are done, try to find me or Aaron around the camp. We could use some help dealing with every lunatic around this place."

"You can count on us." I smiled.

"That's great to hear."

She gave me the paper, and I hid it inside my back pocket.

It's a waiting game then.

Kauri leaned on the table and crossed her arms. "We also need to make sure they're far enough from the camp or else they'll hear the gunshots. We don't want them to come back here and retaliate on us."

"I can't believe we're doing this without the help of Emielle's men." Dean mumbled.

"I'm sure we'll manage." I smiled.

Silence occupied the room until Kauri spoke. "Dean, could you step outside for a second? I want to talk to Cyra in private." Kauri said.

Again? She sure loves talking to people in secret.

"Sure, I'll be right outside." He smiled at me and walked out.

I looked at Kauri and shrugged. "Alright, what is it?"

"I just want to apologize for... everything."

"Sorry? What do you mean?"

"Right, I guess nobody told you. Not everyone in this camp knows about it anyway."

"It? What are you talking about?"

"Well... remember what I told you last night, that I have a sister?"

"Yeah? What about her?"

Kauri smiled at me and blew air out of her lips.

"Her name is Shane. She's the one behind your daughter's disappearance in this camp. She, together with her boyfriend, Ken, kidnapped Isabelle that day."