35. Scars Tell Stories

When I was about 10 years old, one of the boys in my class had a shirt that said, "scars are like tattoos, but with better stories."

It was probably another 15 years before I truly understood the weight of the quip. Between the time of seeing that shirt and understanding it, I was ashamed of my own scars. I desperately tried to keep them all hidden, both physical and emotional scars.

We understand that scar tissue is quickly grown to replace a damaged area, to restore functionality. But because it doesn't look the same we consider it ugly and shameful. It reminds us of our wounds, the pain, and a time of weakness. So we hide them with fake smiles and long sleeves, with makeup and tattoos.

Jesus has scars. His scars tell a story of the ultimate sacrifice, a story of love beyond belief. His scars bear OUR sin and shame. They tell the story of Redemption, of our saving grace, of God overcoming the darkness.

We know the story. Jesus sacrificed on the cross and made a way for us to get into Heaven..scars...He can wear in pride. A noble sacrifice right? A warrior in a noble battle.

Isaiah 53:3-5
He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.

But here's the thing. Some of us are fighting depression, anxiety, addiction, grief, survivors guilt, unbelief, accident recovery, loss..untold battles. We have scars on the inside and out. We are so ashamed that we never even talk about the battle, much less the scars.

But what if.
What if we showed off our scars, not in shame but in triumph? A victory banner proclaiming God's grace and mercy and goodness, showing what He brought you through? A badge of courage, a mark of survival.

A testimony.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

As TobyMac said, scars come with living.

We don't know who may see, but if you can wear your scars proudly, a testimony to the Love of the Father bringing us through, who may we unknowingly reach? In a grocery store, in line to pay bills, we don't know.

May we wear our scars with pride in Gods victory.
May we bring hope and love to the ones still hiding.

1 Peter 5:10
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast

Matthew 5:13-16
"You are salt for the earth. But if salt loses its taste, how will it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled on by people. "You are light for the world. A city cannot be hidden when it is located on a hill. No one lights a lamp and puts it under a basket. Instead, everyone who lights a lamp puts it on a lamp stand. Then its light shines on everyone in the house. In the same way let your light shine in front of people. Then they will see the good that you do and praise your Father in heaven.

Peter 2:12
Continue to live such upright lives among the gentiles that, when they slander you as practicers of evil, they may see your good actions and glorify God when he visits them.

Keep living, keep fighting the good fight, don't be ashamed of your past, but be proud of how far He has brought you.

****
Hey guys! How's everything going? God any good scar stories? I have one on my knee from making an unassisted triple play, one on my hand from the military, and I admit I have a few self harm ones from middle school. Highs and lows, but Gods got me through and I couldn't be more thankful to have come as far as I have.

Have a great day! 🤙