10. Pride and Correction

There's a story in the Bible (Matthew 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, and Luke 8:26-33) about Jesus casting demons out of two men, and sending them into a herd of pigs, and sending the pigs off of a cliff. Poor pigs and poor pig farmer right? But sometimes our loss is someone else's gain...that's not where I'm going with this though. Immediately after Jesus had done this, the people of the town were kind of freaking out, understandably, but then they asked Jesus to leave.

I can't quite understand why the people begged Jesus to go away after they heard what he did with the demons and pigs. Were they just afraid of his power? Or were they ashamed and did not want to be judged?

It then makes me wonder how many times we shy away from God? Are we afraid of hardships or anything to do with God even though it may lead to something good? How many times do we turn away because we are ashamed of what we have done; as if he isn't a healer, a loving Father whose kind correction can help us become stronger?

We correct our own children, we get a correction from our earthly parents, why are we so afraid of receiving correction from our Heavenly Father? Mainly pride. Pride can ruin us...we should try and learn to ask for correction, and ask that we are able to respond appropriately to the corrections even though it may be uncomfortable. It's really for our own benefit.

I'll leave you with a few verses on the dangers of pride, why correction is good/why we should seek correction. 

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall

1 Corinthians 10:12
let him that thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.

Hebrews 12:6
For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, & He scourges every son whom He receives.

Job 5:17
"Behold, how happy is the man whom God reproves, So do not despise the discipline of the Almighty

Proverbs 3:12
For whom the LORD loves He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.

Proverbs 29:17
Correct your son, and he will give you comfort; He will also delight your soul.

***
Where in your life could you use correction?
I know for me it's pride for sure, I always want to think I'm doing great when I'm just doing average or less. So, asking God to humble me, to knock me down a few pegs is always quite the painful process! It's necessary though. I'd rather have God knock me on my butt than have Satan keep me focused on myself rather than God.