63│battle of hogwarts IV

CHAPTER 63: battle of hogwarts IV

"You have fought valiantly... but in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.

"Harry Potter, I speak now directly to you. On this night you have allowed your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonour.

"Join me in the Forbidden Forest and confront your fate. Should you do so I give my word that no other life will be lost on this night. You have one hour. If, at the end of that time, you have not given yourself up, then I shall punish every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me."

Melia walked through the Great Hall. She had walked by every body lying on the floor to see if anyone she knew had died. She had gone by Tonks and Remus earlier and couldn't believe her eyes, but she bit her tongue and went on. She passed the Weasley family and saw Fred lying on the floor. A loud sob escaped her lungs and Ginny came up to her and hugged her hard. She stood with them for a few moments before she began walking around again. She saw some of her friends standing in one of the corners. She went to them and saw a blond-haired girl lying on the floor. She collapsed on the floor beside her with a loud sob. Pansy, who was already sitting on the floor beside her girlfriend, hugged Melia.

She couldn't deal with all the sorrow happening in the Great Hall and went out. She sat down on the foot of the stairs, looking into nothingness. After some time, both Hermione and Ron came hand in hand and sat down beside her. Hermione placed her hand around her while holding Ron's hand. They sit there for god knows how long before Harry shows up. Hermione hugs him right away and begs him not to go. Melia knows very well he has to and won't try to stop him. She gets up and hugs him.

"We'll see each other soon, Harry," he knew what she meant right away and just nodded his head at her. "Kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him. Then it will be over," Melia squeezes his hand once more before stepping back, hugging Hermione who cried into her shoulder. Ron came over to them and joined the hug. Melia saw in her side view a blond boy moving and ran towards him. She sat down by him on the stone steps, lying her head on his shoulder. He kissed her forehead and took her hand in his.

Then Ginny comes out and stands beside Neville who was standing a few meters in front of the young couple, "Who's that? ...Hagrid's carrying? Neville, who is that?" Before he can answer, others begin to spill out of the castle asking the same questions as Ginny. Neville starts to speak but falters simply because he can't bear to look at Ginny's face and the faces of the others looking to him for something, anything, he turns his gaze to the Hat dangling in his hand. Melia gets up from the stairs looking at the people approaching.

Voldemort and the others draw nearer to the grounds. Voldemort surveys the ruins of the castle and the beaten posture of the throng assembled upon its steps. He smiles faintly, with cruel satisfaction. Everyone stands silently as his army comes to a halt before them. All eyes drift to Hagrid and what lays in his arms. Ginny's primal cry echoes over the grounds as she rushes towards Voldemort, but Arthur steps between and wraps his daughter in his arms, letting her struggle briefly before pulling her tighter, closer, safer.

"SILENCE! Stupid girl. You cry for that? Tell me. These last few hours-- as you collected the dead and tended your wounded-- was he by your side?

"While your hands ran dark with the blood of mothers and sons, fathers and daughters, brothers and sisters, his were clasped in prayer -- but it was a prayer for one and one only. While you battled courageously, until you could no longer will yourself to stand, he had long since fallen to his knees. While you cursed me until your voices grew ragged, he begged me for mercy in a voice as meek as a child's.

"So do not cry for that. He's not worthy of your tears. And do not despair of his betrayal. You were never in his heart. Not for one single solitary beat."

"Liar," Ron shouts. Voldemort flicks his wand and Ron drops to his knees, grimacing in pain. Voldemort gestures to him.

"Did you not hear me! Harry Potter is dead! From this day forward, you put your faith in me or suffer the consequences. HARRY POTTER IS DEAD! Now is the time to declare yourself."

"Draco... Camellia..." Lucius reaches out his hand for them to come. Everyone looks at them, wondering if they'll go or not. "Don't be stupid--" They hesitate a little, but then Narcissa speaks up, "Draco, Camellia come..." Melia looks over at Voldemort who just nods his head at her. She swallows harshly before grabbing Draco's hand harder. They share a glance before walking towards them. They pass Hermione and the others who looks at the two of them. She tries to not lock eyes with them because she's afraid she'll begin crying. They stepped right towards them and Voldemort gave Draco an awkward hug. Narcissa placed a hand on Melia's shoulder.

Melia holds Draco's hand even harder, trying to not falter under the eyes of everyone. Neville steps forward and Melia looks at him with curiosity. She doesn't understand why he would go forward. "I'd like to say something. It doesn't matter that Harry is gone."

"Stand down, Neville," Seamus shouts at him.

"People die every day. Friends. Family. Yes, we lost Harry tonight. But he's still with us, here--" he taps on his heart. "And so is Fred and Remus and Tonks and Rosie and... all of them. They didn't die in vain," Melia smiles sorrowfully at the mention of Rosie. Then he turns towards Voldermort's army, "But you will. And you and you and you will. Because you're wrong. Harry's heart did beat for us. All of us..." Neville takes a step forward and looks Voldemort in the eye, then he reaches into the Sorting Hat. Scarlet glints in Voldemort's eyes and he smiles, raising the Elder Wand when Neville-- in keen anticipation-- reaches into the Sorting Hat and pulls forth the Sword of Gryffindor. Gasps emit from the crowd, and then Harry gets out of Hagrid's hands and runs forward. Melia takes the wand from Draco's hand and runs towards him.

"Harry!" she says as she hands him the wand. With his wand in hand, he turns and fires a spell on Voldemort. He blocks the spell, eyeing Harry with mild disbelief, then anger. Flames run the length of Nagini-- with no effect-- then climb the back of a nearby Death Eater and consume him. Enraged that Harry has attacked Nagini, Voldemort fires multiple curses at him. Harry runs towards the Great Hall.

Narcissa grabs Melia's hand hard and hauls her with her. They run across the bridge and stop in the middle where Draco and Lucius are waiting for them. they looked like they were making themselves ready to apparate, but Melia couldn't leave yet. There was still so much of the battle left. She takes her hand out of her hold harshly and looks her in the eyes, "I'm sorry, but I can't leave. Not now. Not when my friends and family are still fighting for their lives. Go home if you'd like, but I'm staying."

They look at her bewildered and Draco just smiles proudly at her before moving to stand beside her, "I'm staying too. Hogwarts has been our home for years and we want to fight for it."

"Draco!" Lucius hisses, while Narcissa just moves towards them and hugs them. "Be safe, both of you. We'll be waiting at the Manor," Melia nods her head with a smile before grabbing Draco's hand and running back towards the castle.

(A/N) Some of the lines in this chapter are from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 movie script, which mean that I don't own it. Everything else is written by me.