42│potion gone wrong

CHAPTER 42: potion gone wrong

For the past few weeks, Umbridge has been observing the classes

For the past few weeks, Umbridge has been observing the classes. She has been embarrassing the teachers and been a real pain. McGonagall spoke up to her a few days ago and was called out to be disloyal to the Ministry. Umbridge won that discussion for sure. She has also been setting some rules everywhere. Like boys and girls can't be in close radius to each other, which Melia and Draco haven't been following. It's not like Umbridge would dare try doing something about it. She's been rather scared of Melia and doesn't call her out for anything. All these rules are ridiculous in every way, but Dumbledore, or anyone else for that matter, can't do anything about it.

Then something else happened. Umbridge wanted to throw out Professor Trelawney. Dumbledore and McGonagall both stepped in and she got to stay at the school even though she wasn't allowed to teach anymore because of toad face.

Now Melia was sitting with 'Mione under the Whomping Willow. She wanted to have a place where they could talk in peace without being disturbed.

"We're going to have a meeting this weekend. In Hogsmeade. Would you like to come?"

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"I would love to join your army thing, 'Mione, but I can't. You know I can't..."

"But-"

"And if they find my name on that list, I'm done for it."

She looks down, "I know, but maybe you could just teach a few classes? Not every time."

Melia smiles at her, "Maybe."

"And, about your name. I could find a spell that erases it when someone outside of the... army thing sees it."

"I would love that!"

"Then you can be there in spirit," they sit there for some time in a comfortable silence, just looking out on the horizon. When it was starting to get darker, they went inside. Hermione went to her common room, while Melia went to the hospital wing. Her voice has been bugging her, so she wanted to see if Madam Pomfrey had anything to ease the pain. She smiled at her when she went in.

"Do you have anything for my voice?" she whispered loud enough for her to hear.

"Oh, dear. I'm sorry. You know I don't." Melia nodded her head slowly and went for the door, "Wait. I may have something. I have been working on a potion that may help!" Madam Pomfrey went to her storage room to look for the potion. After a few minutes, she came back with a small purple potion. She gave it to Melia and warned her that the potion would make her sleepy, so she would have to take it before she went to bed.

Melia walked back to her common room where everyone had already gone to bed. When she came inside, Draco was sitting on her bed wondering where she went. She told him that she went to the hospital wing to get something for her voice, not wanting to tell him about the army thing that Hermione told her about yet. She went to the bathroom to make herself ready for bed and then joined him. She took the potion and fell asleep almost instantly.

⊰ ❃ ⊱

When she woke up, Melia felt very groggy and was feeling pretty under the weather. She started to feel nauseous. Then she felt it coming up. She ran to the bathroom and puked up everything she ate the previous day. Draco ran over to her and held up her hair. She didn't tell me it would have side effects! When she was done, he scooped her up and moved her over to the bed. He wrapped her in a blanket and felt her forehead. She's burning. He kissed her on the head before taking a sweater and running out. The gang was sitting there, waiting for them.

Blaise had a mischievous smirk on his face, "You came out late today."

"I don't have time for your bullshit right now!" He hurried out of the common room leaving them confused. He ran all the way to the hospital wing. When he went inside, Madam Pomfrey almost yelled at him for being too loud. He told her what's happening to Melia and she came with him right away. When the two of them came into the common room, everyone was afraid of what was happening.

She followed him up to the prefect's bedroom and was stunned by what she saw. Pomfrey hurried over to her and started to take her temperature. "I have tried the potion on many students, but no one has reacted this way before!" Draco looked paler than ever. Blaise and the three girls came through the door and their faces fell. Blaise placed a hand on Draco's shoulder. It was like he didn't even feel the touch. He was standing completely still, his face blank of any emotion.

Madam Pomfrey went over to him, "She'll be alright. I'll tell the teachers about this, so you two don't have to go to class today. Look after her and give her this potion when she wakes up." She hands him a potion and gives him a sympathetic look. He moves over to Melia and takes her hand and kisses her knuckles. The others leave without a word to their classes, seeing that Draco is in no state to talk.

Draco goes to the bathroom and comes out later with a cloth and soaks it with water before pressing it against her forehead. When he's done, he sits there looking at her. This reminds him too much of that summer. He couldn't do anything then and can't do anything now. He feels useless just watching her lie there in pain. He takes the bowl back to the bathroom. When he comes back, he lays down beside her and moves her closer to him. Draco closes his eyes, trying to sleep away his worries.

⊰ ❃ ⊱

Melia's eyes flutter open. She looks around the room wondering what is going on. She moves her hand up to her forehead and notices it's soaked with sweat. She tries to sit up, but someone comes towards her and pushes her down again. She looks up and sees a pair of stormy grey eyes. He takes a potion up to her lips and she swallows without questioning. Still confused about the situation. He sits down beside her and takes a warm cloth over her forehead.

"Hey, there," he smiles. "Feeling better?" She nods her head slowly, "You had a bad reaction on the potion Madam Pomfrey gave you. She said you'd be fine." She nods at him and closes her eyes, trying to sleep again. A few hours later, Melia wakes up again and feels a lot better than she did before. Draco helped her out of bed, even though she didn't need it. After she was done in the shower, she and Draco went down to the common room. The second she came down, she was bombarded by hugs. Pansy, Daphne and Millicent wouldn't let go of her until they made sure she was alright again. They moved her over to the sofa with them and pampered her with questions.

"I'm alright guys," her face falls instantly.

"What's wrong?! Are you alright?"

"My voice... It doesn't hurt when I talk."

"I guess the potion worked after all," Draco said as he kissed her head.

Pansy snickered, "Ye, after almost killing you."

"That was a bit dramatic, Pans," they chuckled.

I have my voice back...