36│a trip down memory lane

CHAPTER 36: a trip down memory lane

"Mom," a young girl whined.

"Come on, honey. You can do it. Just think about your happiest memory."

The girl does and out of her fingertips a white and blue light erupts and that light turns into a small dragon.

"Look, mom. A dragon! It's so cute."

"Yes, honey. It is very cute," the little girl giggles and runs around the room following the dragon around. A young man comes in and stands beside the young woman. He places a hand on her lower back and kisses her head. He looks over to the little girl running around.

"So, she finally did it?"

"Yes. It's a dragon. Don't you think that's weird? They haven't even met yet."

"Maybe they're just meant to be."

She lets out a breathy laugh, "Yes, maybe."

The little girl notices the man and runs towards him. He lifts her up, "Look, dad. It's a baby dragon!"

⊰ ❃ ⊱

The same young girl and woman are standing in the hallway of their house. The girl looks a few years older. The woman is telling the young girl that they're meeting some very important people and that she needs to behave. She rolls her eyes at her mom before hugging her. Then the young man comes into the picture and they apparate. They arrive outside a big dark mansion.

They walk inside and get greeted by two people, a woman and a man. The two women hug each other while the men shake hands.

"It's so good to see you again, Olivia."

"It's good to see you too Narcissa."

"And this must me, Camellia. Wow, she looks so grown up."

"Well, it has been almost five years since you saw her last."

The young girl, Camellia, can't concentrate on the conversation. She has noticed a boy standing behind the woman named Narcissa. Their eyes meet and he comes closer to her. He pulls out his hand from his pocket and puts it in front of her to shake. She does.

"Draco Malfoy, a pleasure."

"Camellia Black Withlock, a pleasure to meet you too."

The adults look over at the two, smiling.

"Draco, dear. Why don't you show Camellia around?"

He looks up at his mother, "Yes, mother." They link arms and he starts showing her around.

⊰ ❃ ⊱

"Draco, where are we going?"

"Just wait a little longer, it's right around the corner."

They round the corner and walk inside two big doors. She gasps when she sees all the books.

"Wow, this is amazing!"

"I know right," he says with a smirk. "Go on." He ushers her forward. She goes around looking at the different books. Books about different spells, potions, magic history and so much more. Then he suddenly grabs her hand and brings her to the back corner of the room where there are muggle books.

"Are they...?"

"Muggle books, yes. Pick one."

She looks at them and drags her finger over some of them, "Mathilda, The Alchemist, Howl's Moving Castle..." then she picks one of them, "Lord of the rings. Sounds interesting." Draco grabs the book from her. "Hey!"

"What? Come on, we'll read together."

They go back to the entrance where the fireplace is. They sit down on the sofa and Draco starts to read. They sit there for hours. Just reading and enjoying each other's company.

⊰ ❃ ⊱

"The spell is almost done. We'll be able to send her to Oslo safely."

Camellia is sitting outside her father's office eavesdropping in on the conversation he's having with her mother.

"I know, but-"

"We talked about this Olivia. We need to do this. If we stay, all of us die, but if she leaves then only we have to die."

"I know. What if she comes home too early? What if she comes back before he is defeated?"

"If that happens, then our sacrifice went in vain. Then what we have worked so hard for... Let's not think about that. It'll probably go fine."

"Probably, Rutherford? We can't send her away and hope she will be alright. We need to be sure."

"And how do you expect us to manage that. We can't test it on someone, can we?!"

"No, we can't. Let's just continue working on it and hope that if she comes back too early, she fights him, not for him."

He moves closer to her, "Yes, let's hope."

⊰ ❃ ⊱

Rutherford, Olivia, Lucius and Narcissa are standing in the kitchen, arguing. Camellia sits on the sofa in the living room, unable to move. Tears fall down her cheeks.

"She needs to leave now! You don't have time for this!" Lucius shouts.

"It takes some time for the spell to start working. Stop worrying." Olivia says in a calm voice.

"Olivia, we need to say goodbye before the spell is done," she nods her head at her husband before walking into the other room where Camellia is sitting. She kneels down in front of her.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. This was our best opinion. When the spell starts working you won't remember anything. It'll take you to Oslo, the place we went to last summer, and there you will get a new family," her voice breaks. "When you come back, the spell will lift off and you will remember again. If it works as it should. If it happens that you come back before he is gone, then I hope you remember which side you're on. We trained you so that you can fight him back. So please use your powers for good. Okay?" Camellia nods her head.

Rutherford kneels beside his wife, "We love you, Camellia. Everything we have done is for you and-"

"Rutherford! It's starting to work!"

"Your mother and I love you. Goodbye..."

⊰ ❃ ⊱

Melia wakes up panting and sweaty. Someone shouts something, but she's unable to hear it. A woman waves her hand in front of her, but Melia can't focus. She's overwhelmed about everything she just saw.

"Water," she croaks almost inaudibly. "I need water." Someone brings her a glass of water and she drinks it right away. She lays back down and Sirius pats her forehead with a wet cloth.

"You're alright Sugar. Don't try to remember everything at once. Use time."

She nods her head before she passes out. Exhausted after being awake for over a week.