39│a letter from you-know-who

CHAPTER 39: a letter from you-know-who

Harry had just left for his hearing at the Ministry and Melia is sitting in the kitchen with the others waiting for him to return

Harry had just left for his hearing at the Ministry and Melia is sitting in the kitchen with the others waiting for him to return. Melia already knows he'll be alright after what she remembers from the films. Lately, she has been remembering less and less, but she remembers small things like what happens at Harry's hearing, what's happening at school this year, Sirius dying and some other things. Even though she knew the books and films inside out before. The longer she stays here, the more she forgets.

All of them are having a cheerful argument, but they stop when a black owl flies in and over to Melia. She recognizes the owl right away and takes the letter out of its beck slowly. She opens it and starts reading inside of her.

'Camellia

Seeing I haven't gotten any letters from you, your work there hasn't gone that well. Next time I expect more from you or that you stay in the Manor. You would have done so much more there.

But that was not the reason for this letter. The next school year starts soon, and I have a new mission for you. It's easier than the last one but necessary. This year Delores Umbridge will be at the school and I want you to get on her good side. She knows that you stand with me, but not how important you are. Let it stay like that!. If we want later to take over the Ministry, we need someone inside. We already have a few, but she could come in handy.

And remember the other mission regarding that Malfoy boy.

I expect you to get this done as flawlessly as the last one. I expect no mistakes from you.'

After reading it she takes a deep breath before sending the bird away with a reply. Then she walks out of the room and goes to her room. She needed time to think. The others looked at her worried but decided not to say anything. They also recognized the owl and knew she got a letter from him. Sirius made a mental note to go and see if she's alright later.

When she came to her room, she started pacing. This summer has been the best summer she's had since she came here. The first one was with the Weasleys, and that one didn't go that well. She had just learnt about her parents and the other kids in the house avoided her. The next one wasn't that bad. At least, not before and after the events with Bellatrix. She got to spend a lot of time with Draco. Laugh, smile, tears of joy. Yes, what happened with Bellatrix was bad, but if you look away from that, then she had an amazing holiday. Then there's this one. She didn't get to do much the two first weeks, but the next month and a half had been good. She got to spend a lot of time with Sirius and make memories she could hold dear after he was gone.

Melia wasn't ready to start at Hogwarts yet, but she had to. She had to be strong and show no weakness. She's lucky she has Draco there to help her. If it hadn't been for him supporting her through the year, then she would have broken down long ago. Thanks to him, she's staying together and not in pieces.

She continued pacing the room, trapped in her thoughts. Then a knock at the door interrupted her thoughts. The person came in and sat himself down on one of the armchairs. He indicates for her to sit down too, which she does. They sit there for a few minutes in silence; a comfortable one. Then he decides to break that silence.

"I never got to see your room before I came here the first time last year, and you definitely have a way nicer room than me."

She chuckles, "I haven't seen your room, so I don't know."

"What did the letter say?"

"A new mission. A new teacher is coming to the school and he wants me to get on her good side. She knows I'm on his side. They need her for something."

"So, they're using you to get to her?" she nods "Are you going to do it?"

"I have no choice. He said he expects no mistakes. He wants it to go flawlessly."

He takes a deep breath, thinking about what to say next, "I'm sorry," she looks at him, questioning, "I'm sorry all this is happening to you. You shouldn't have had to go through all this. You weren't supposed to come here until he was gone."

She smiles at him, "You don't have to be sorry. There was a reason I came here earlier than expected. Maybe it was to meet you or meet the trio and Draco. There are so many possibilities, but I know the spell was supposed to bring me back when it felt like I was ready. Let's just wait and see why. Okay?"

He nods his head at her before trying to bring her down to the kitchen saying that dinner is ready. She keeps saying that she's not hungry, but he says that even if she's not going to eat, she has to sit with them. They leave for Hogwarts soon and he wants to have some time with her. And with that she goes down with him, she also wants to spend time with him. When they get down everyone's already sitting down, waiting for Sirius and Melia. She tried to eat a little, but she was too stressed inside to make it go down. The others have stopped trying to get her to eat since they have seen what happens if they force it on to her.

Everyone talked and laughed and was happy Harry got to go back to Hogwarts. Melia wouldn't say she's jealous. But she wishes the things she did was for something good so when she gets praised, it's for something she did to help instead of something she did to make it worse. In this story, Harry was the hero, whilst she was the villain.

A few days later everyone was getting ready for Hogwarts. Melia was standing in the living room, playing the piano one more time before she had to go. Again, she played 'fly' and Sirius came this time too. When she was done, she looked up to see him standing right behind her.

"I wanted to play one more time before we left."

He smiled at her, "That's okay, but we have to leave now."

She stops him before he's able to leave, "Wait, I want to say goodbye here. Then you'll have more time with Harry at the station."

"How did you know- you know what never mind that," she gets up from the chair and hugs him. They stay like that for a few minutes in silence before Sirius takes out a letter and gives it to her, "Don't worry, it's from Hogwarts." She takes it out and starts reading it with Sirius looking over her shoulder.

'Dear Melia Black Withlock

We are sorry for the delay of this letter, but you have been chosen as this year's prefect for Slytherin. You can find the badge in the envelope.

Congratulations!

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Melia smiles widely at both her name and the fact that she gets to be a prefect together with Draco! They hug once more before going to meet the others in the hallway. She gets her bag, says goodbye to everyone, including Kreacher, and leaves with everyone else.