43. The End

My hands tremble while I hold my phone, my clumsy fingers trying to type out my text.

"I'll be fine, I'll call you when I'm out." My auto correct fixed almost every word before I hit send.

"Please do."

I put my phone into my purse, struggling to get the zipper to function properly. Putting it on one shoulder, I take small steps into the facility. 

After a decade, I'm forcing myself to face him. My therapist said it would be a step in the right direction; a step into the future and all the good it could bring. In my heart though, I know that I may not be ready for that yet. There is so much that I'm still hoping I'll get to have tomorrow when I wake up from this.... this.....

"May I help you miss?" A short, round woman asks, dragging me out of my thoughts and into reality.

My body is shaking, my palms sweating as I am lead down the hall to a small toilet stale size room. The old school type of chair aging the room as I take a seat. The desk just high enough so you don't hit your knees as you slide in.

As the door starts to close behind me, the officer hesitates for a moment and asks, "Would you prefer me to stay miss?"

Now I hesitate, while I try to find words; I jump slightly as a loud door down a different hall slams closed and two sets of foot steps follow. My heart racing.

"N-no. I'll be ok. Thank you though." I try to smile, but it gets twisted on my face and the office nods lightly with a sad expression.

I look at the dirty glass into front of me; it's shield type persona having me question its strength. I question how many times he would  have to hit it to get throw to hurt me. A shiver runs down my spine as an officer appears, blocking my view of him as he undoes his handcuffs.

My mind flashes back to that day, making me re-live everything. Every little thing I've worked so hard to heal from in therapy.

I'm brought back to reality when a loud knock on the glass breaks me from my nightmare; but it is only met with another one.

One of his grayish-color skinned hands gripping the phone-while the other points to it excitedly. His once white teeth, now yellowed and plague covered. His eyes filled with a type of craze only the sickest of people know.

My stomach turns as I reach over to the blue phone on the wall and slowly bring it to my ear.

"Oh Riley, I'm so happy to see you!" The what I assume is joy in his tone makes me scared beyond belief.

I can't bring myself to say anything. It's as if my throat as turned to sandpaper, my tongue just a rock sitting behind my tightly clenched teeth.

"We have so much to catch up on! I mean, what has it been? 10 years!! You look amazing, just as beautiful as I remember. My psychiatrist tells me I have such a good way of describing you, he doesn't need a picture."

My legs quietly bounce under the desk, the nerves running through my body telling me to run, run as fast as I can away from here. From him.

"The food isn't great I'll tell you that," he laughs and for a moment it's like the him I used to know, it's like the one I wanted to hear; but he isn't. He is not someone I know, and maybe I never truly knew him. He was hiding such dark desires. Thoughts. And actions.

"Why?"

He tilts his head at my sudden interruption, I don't blame him, even I'm surprised I was able to utter a word.

"Why did you give this to me? After all this time, why now?" Tears threaten to fill my eyes but I force them back. I won't cry in front of him. He doesn't deserve to know what he has put me through.

A crooked, forced smile forms on his face, "I didn't send it to you; my father must have found it in my room when the police started cleaning the place up."

I close my eyes for a moment, that poor girl had no idea what happened before it was too late. The police found her shortly after looking through the house; many of them said it was one of the most horrific scenes they have ever come a crossed.

My skinny fingers fiddle with the beautiful emerald ring on my ring finger; my other hand covering it so that he can't look at it. I don't want his eyes tainting it's beauty, it's meaning.

"You know Riley, I always knew we were meant to be." All the air in my lungs leaves me and I sit there suffocating as Gregory continues. "Think about it, Aiden wasn't right for you and there were so many obstacles in your relationship. Our relationship was easy. It was bliss. We were meant to be. I'm your fated person." I feel so many emotions, so many it's hard to determine which one is showing on my face.

My mind goes blank for a moment as he rambles on and on in the fairytale he made up in his head; his psychiatrist and warden advised me not to get him riled up. But...... but....

"You sick bastard." My words leave my mouth before I can stop them. "I don't belong to you. I never have. I was meant to be with Aiden."

Gregory arm twitch's against his chains, his hand tightening around the phone so much so that I can see his knuckles turn white. A bone chilling laugh leaves his chapped lips, "Then why isn't he here? Hmmm, where is your fated Riley?"

I hold back the tears ready to burst from my eyes at any second at the mention of Aiden, let alone what this sick son of a bitch is trying to make me say; but I don't want him to think he gets to control me. My therapist told me to stand my ground.

"The only reason he isn't here right now, is because of you."

Ever so slightly I see just the edge of Gregory's mouth twitch up, but he masks it quickly. "I barely touched him." He shrugs and I fight the urge to call the officers standing outside both sides of the rooms in; my body wanting to lung forward and strangle him. To yell into his face about how much of a murder he is, how sick and twisted he must be in the head to slaughter his fated person and then do the same to his own brother.

"You stabbed him over 100 times." My words where faint, but he heard me. "You mutilated your fated person so badly, the police couldn't identify her for weeks." My hands in my lap were aching from how tight I was gripping them together.

"No, no- Riley love, you're right here. Silly, my fated person is just as perfect as ever." I don't say anything. I shouldn't fight him. The doctors still have no idea what is happening with him. They don't know what caused him to do what he did.

Knowing now that he didn't send me the engagement ring Aiden planned to proposed to me with; I have no reason to sit here.

"Goodbye Gregory." I put the phone back on the wall and turn, knocking on the door.

"Riley!!" I can faintly hear Gregory scream on the other side. "Riley!!"

I don't turn back as the officer opens the door, nor do I went I walk back down the halls, out the doors and into the parking lot. I don't even look back as I sit in my car and through the down pour of tears call my therapist.

But before he can answer, I hang up and just let it all go. Again. Letting myself remember what fate did have in store for me. For Aiden. For us.

Before he ripped it away.

~~~~

Hi my lovely readers,

How do you like the update my readers?
Did you see that coming?

Hope everyone is doing good in these crazy times! Stay safe ❤️