Special Chapter (Dennis and Tiffany)

"Honey are you sure you don't want Tiffany here?" My mother asks for the 10th time, her concerned face the only expression that she has been making since I woke up. 

"I'm sure..." I trail off and turn my head to look back out the window. 

"Maybe.. I don't know, maybe you should text her Dennis, you are getting out of the hospital today." My mother timidly says. 

"I send her one on the way home." I turn back to the window and watch as the people outside walk around, the kids in the park playing on the playground and their parents watching them closely. 

"How are you today Dennis?" The doctor walks in and I look at him and the nurses that walk in behind him with the wheelchair. 

My eyes never leaving it as they give my parents instructions on what our life's will be like now. 

As we are leaving, I glance up to see Tiffany standing in the wall way; her hair is a mess and her skin is pale with dark circles under his eyes. Her clothes hanging on her slim body, making her look like a little kid in dress up clothes. 

"Tiffany!" My mom walks to her and hugs her tightly, running her hand over the back of her head, through her hair. Something that I loved to do when she held onto me tightly when we hugged. 

Something that I won't be able to do now unless she leans down for me. 

My fists clench tightly and I can feel my knuckles turning white; my jaw tight as I think about our future now. 

"De-" Tiffany starts, but I cut her off. 

"Let's go mom." I roll myself passed them both and I see the dimming light  in Tiffany's eyes dim even more and her eyes water as I pass her without a word. 

I hear my mother's low work heels clack on the tile floor as she hurries to catch up to me, she doesn't say anything but I know that she wants to. 

When we get home, there is a new ramp for me, so that I can get into my own house. My bedroom has been moved to the first floor, the master bathroom being more wheelchair friendly my parents tell me. 

After dinner, my father helps me with my shower and into bed. 

"Hey bud," My dad stops at my door and turns half way to look at me," I can't imagine how hard this all is for you and I know that you will need time; but remember that you are loved just as much as you were before the accident. I know that things might never be how they used to be, but I know that all the people in your life will have your back whenever you come to them for help." He smiles at me and grips the door knob tightly before leaving my room. 

Laying there in the dark, the small light from the bathroom makes the bedroom still visible once your eyes get used to it. I stare at the ceiling and think of everything that will be different now that I am in a wheelchair and the one thing that keeps coming into my head is Tiffany. 

Just as I am about to fall asleep, my phone buzzes on the night stand and I reach out; opening my lock screen I pause for a moment and look at the picture of Tiffany and I as my screen saver. 

Opening my texts, I read the one that just came in. 

Tiffany: I love you Dennis XoXo 

I must have read her message a million times before putting my phone back down on the night stand, I squeeze my eyes shut and start to count to 10. 

Tears sliding down my temples as I remember the first time I met my lovely, dear fated person. 

FLASHBACK: 

"Hey dude!" Mark comes up behind me and slaps my shoulder as we celebrate our big win of the year, the cheerleaders hanging onto us as we walk to the parking lot of the school.

"To the party?!" He yells over all the other people screaming and yelling, I nod as a girl whispers in my ear about something. 

My eyes glancing up to see a girl a crossed the parking lot standing alone looking up at the sky, her short brown hair just above her shoulders as her breath floats up in the cold air. 

And just like the movies, my world stopped and played in slow motion. 

Everyone else was a blur as she put her hands to her mouth blowing on them to heat them up; I watch as she slowly turns and for a split second her eyes connect with mine. 

While at the party, I went in and out of every room hoping to see her there; but when the night was coming to an end, I walked outside onto the balcony and took a sip of my watered down beer. 

"1. 2. 3." 

I look around me as I hear someone counting as my eyes widen as I see the girl from earlier, she has a deep frown on her face and her eyes closed; her fists tight as if she is going to punch the next person she sees. 

"4. 5. 6." 

She takes in a deep breath and spines around a few times, her hands going up and running through her soft hair. 

"7. 8. 9." 

slowly I watch as she opens her eyes and exhales deeply.

"10." 

She turns and almost runs right into my chest. 

"Whoa! sorry." She looks up at me and almost instantly her eyes light up, her small embarrassed smile turns into one with bright white teeth. 

"Hi." I say smiling back like an idiot. 

"Hi there." She stands in front of me and I laugh a little. 

"What were you doing?" I ask raising an eyebrow. 

"Oh, um..." She laughs and tucks a little piece of her hair behind her ear, "I was calming myself down and cheering myself up."