36. Cap and Gown

"You look beautiful Riley." My grandmother says as we pull up to the school, her red lipstick making her teeth a little yellow looking. Her bright blue eyes looking at me through the review mirror. 

"Thanks grandma." I give her a smile from the back seat, like I am still a little kid that she used to baby. 

Getting out of the car, I turn back around to give her a smile, "See you in there." I add before closing the door and walking up the steps. Pulling out my phone, I call Tiffany to hear her talking to her mom who is apparently trying to mess with her hair. 

"Mom! Stop." She grumbles, "Hello?" 

"Hi, where you at slacker?" I laugh and tease her. 

Tiffany curses which gets her a small scolding from her mom on the other end, "Mom, we are late, just leave it alone and lets go." I hear her mom gasp and tell everyone to hurry. "Sorry Riley, are you there already?" 

"Yep." 

"Save me a seat next to you ok?" She says rushed. 

"Will do, How about Dennis?"

"He has to be up front, just so it's easier." I hear the slight sad tone in her voice; knowing that she wanted to hold his hand during graduation, to have them whisper back and forth about high school memories. 

"Don't be sad Tiff." 

"I know," She inhales sharply, "See you soon, ok?" 

"Ok." I chirp and we hang up. 

Taking a seat on the front steps of the school, I watch the other students walking passed with their parents and it makes my heart tighten just a little; but seeing their smiling faces and how they are all filled with so much hope for their futures after today like I am. 

After today, we have the world at our feet and I couldn't be more excited; I wonder what it will look like and how it will all play out. I run my fingers over my cap and through the tassel with a small smile on my face thinking about it all. 

Glancing up from my cap, my eyes land on a very handsome man, his hair newly cut and suit freshly pressed; his hands fixing his jacket before reaching back into the car and pulling out a bouquet of flowers. 

My eyes going up to his face to see him look around before his eyes connect with mine; a new light brightening them as a small smile grows on his lips. 

"Hey baby." He walks up and helps me to my feet.

"Hi." I say like a giddy school girl, mentally face palming myself. 

He smiles and kisses my forehead, "You know that they wish they were here."

I rest my forehead on his chest and sigh, "Yeah, I know they do." 

As we are standing there, we both feel like we are being watched and I look up from Aiden's chest to see Gregory standing at the bottom of the stairs. He doesn't say anything, instead he walks to the other staircase and heads inside first. Looking up at Aiden, he has a furrowed brow and his fist is clenched at his side. 

"Hey, look at me." I grab his face and slowly he loosens up. 

"What?" He looks at me with a soft gaze. 

"I choose you..." I peck his lips and stay close as I add, "Picha chuu."

Aiden's chest rumbles with laughter, and he hugs me tightly. 

We both talk a little more before the principal comes on over the intercom telling all students to head to their seats for graduation.  

"See you after." I peck Aiden's cheek and pull away; but as I am walking away Aiden grabs my hand gently. I look back at him and I can see a deep emotion in his eyes. 

"Thank you for picking me. I'm so lucky to have you." 

I could feel my heart swell and then the words were on the tip of my tongue; but I couldn't get them out before Aiden kissed me quickly and let go of my hand. 

"Go on." He smiles, motioning with his hands for me to shoo. 

Glancing back, he waves and I feel butterflies in my stomach. 

Going to the auditorium, I find my seat and Tiffany is already there. She waves me over with  a smile and as soon as I sit down she goes off on how her mom was so emotional. 

"She was driving me crazy." 

"It sounds like chaos." I laugh and someone behind us, makings it a point to shhh us. 

We glance back and find a girl giving us a dirty look. 

Making us both laugh again, this time muffling it with our hands as the Principal starts the ceremony. Going through the ceremony, we spend the boring amount of the speeches whispering back and forth of our favorites memories of high school; then the names start to be called and I watch as Tiffany walks first and she passes Dennis; when she does, Dennis's whole face lights up with pride for her and I can't help but smile for them.

When my name is called, I don't remember getting up or walking to the principal. The only thing I remember is hearing Aiden and my Grandma cheering from the crowd, while Tiffany and Dennis did little cheers of their own. 

Walking back to sit down for the rest of graduation, I see Gregory looking at me and I glance his way. Both of us sharing a friendly awkward smile before breaking eye contact. 

When it is over, we throw our caps into the air like all those cheesy movies and I watch as the families come down from the stands to join their students. I turn around in circles trying to see passed them, when I am met with Aiden smiling down at me. 

Wrapping my arms around his neck, I stand on my tip toes and kiss him hard. His arms wrapping around my waist with the bouquet still in his hands. 

In this moment, it feels like time slows down. 

The sound of everyone around us dulling out, the warmth of Aiden's arms around me making me feel safe, the feeling of knowing that everything is going to be just fine calming that ache in my head. 

"I love you." I break the kiss to say with my forehead on his. Both of us smiling from ear to ear. 

"I-" 

That's when a sound rang through the air that I thought I would never hear. A  sound that never should have been here, not on this day. Not in this moment. But there it was. The ringing sound of a gun shot ripped through the auditorium.