"I noticed your presence in the wards or when I was playing with kids, observed you always, secretly saw you observing me too but tried to ignore that connection that I felt because I didn't want to get distracted from my goals. I thought that it was a phase that will pass away."

He explained and Zara closed her eyes taking deep breaths. She understood it because she herself tried to deny her feelings thinking of them as a crush.

"You intrigued me Sunshine, genuinely but I wasn't ready at that moment and so I never pursued you. I noticed you walking away after your graduation, while I was working as a resident for time being but didn't do anything to stay connected to you. I left it all on fate. And that's how our first meeting ended." Kabir said and Zara just sat there thinking about his words.

***

About this first meeting she understood his side because she was on the same page as him.

"When was the next time you saw me? While you were in coma? You decided to come after me then?" Zara asked her next doubt and noticed Kabir scratching his neck.

He was either feeling guilty or shy? Now what is he hiding?

"Actually Sunshine, we met once again after that when you were teaching in St. Xavier's." Kabir said and Zara stopped breathing for a second and Kabir wondered if his idea to speak truth was right or not.

"Breath in, breath out." He slowly said and she followed his instructions and closed her eyes.

Was she suffering from some kind of amnesia? Did she got into any accident before him and that why's she doesn't remember meeting him?

"Tell everything, without omitting any details. Clearly." Zara said once she regained her breathing.

Silly, stupid, idiotic man! Good God, just where did she get stuck?

"You left and after sometime even I left. I was in depression and was searching for some hope and that's when I came across you, in St. Xavier's. I listened to almost all your lectures and they helped me surviving that phase. I was able to cope up with my depression because of your talks.

I decided to approach you initially but I was not in a good condition so decided to listen to your lectures and get well before finally asking you out.

But in your last lecture I heard the talk between you and your friend. Your father was ill and I wanted to be there to support you but you were very clear at that time that you don't want any distractions. You wanted to be the best daughter and being with me will distract you from that. My problems will take all your time and I can't do that to you when I have gone through the pain of seeing my mom in her illness for four years.

And to this day, I feel like I should have done more for her than I already did. It's never enough. Hence, I decided to go away and complete my post grad in Mumbai where you will come with your dad after he gets well. I left our second meeting without coming in front of you. But promised myself that if you ever come in front of me again then I won't let you go." Kabir explained and looked at her expecting to see any reaction.

But Zara kept her face neutral though she was finding it very hard to. Kabir should have met her once, but then again... he was correct. His reasons were valid.

She really wanted to be the best daughter at that moment and she didn't want any distractions.

But one question did come to her mind though, "I understand your reasons till now. Why did you come to that town only? Why not anywhere else? Was it a coincidence?"

"It's near my mother's hometown, which is your hometown too. I didn't want to go to her hometown as sweetie pie could find me there. The town that I chose was small, peaceful, away from crowd and also it was the place where you did your high schooling. So there were chances to see you..." Kabir said the last part in whisper and Zara didn't know what to feel.