21: Protective Remy

*Virgil POV*

I take a deep breath, bracing myself. I turn the key and open the door.

I peek inside. Neither Janus nor Remus looks up. I almost sigh in relief.

I quickly go over to my dresser, go into the bathroom and change, and come back out. Just as I'm about to leave, someone clears their throat. I freeze.

"Virgil?" Janus asks.

I sprint out of the room. They're mad for sure, and I'm being a coward. But I would rather only have Logan than also have Janus and Remus the chance to yell at me.

"Virgil, wait!" Janus shouts.

I run faster, finding my down to the library and hiding in there. That place can be a labyrinth sometimes. I duck behind a bookshelf as I hear them come in.

"Why won't he just let us talk?" I hear Remus mutter.

"If I knew, I'd say so. I just hope he doesn't think we're mad," Janus whispers.

They're... not... mad?

They have every right to be! They should be! I literally used forbidden manipulation against them! They SHOULD be mad!

Maybe I misheard or I'm overthinking. I overthink too much. Does Logan? He always seems to calm and collected, I can't imagine him having a breakdown over this. Why am I even comparing myself to Logan? Because my mind's a mess right now, maybe?

"Well, he's here somewhere so we should just look," Remus says.

"Or, y' know, not get another detention for being late," Janus says.

"Yeah, good point," Remus says as the bell rings.

Their footsteps fade out, and I know I'm going to be late for math. But so many people are late on the first day back that I might be fine.

*Logan POV*

As we enter the cafeteria, Patton immediately darts over to the pancakes, while I stay by the actually healthy options. I still can't understand why he always chooses the options with less nutritional value.

I sit down next to Patton and Roman, staring absentmindedly at the wall.

"Hello? Earth to Logan?" Roman asks, waving his hand in front of my face.

"What?" I ask.

"I asked you if you wanted to do like a three-way duel later in the training rooms," Roman says.

"A truel. And no thank you," I say.

"Wimping out?" Roman asks, smirking.

"Roman!" Patton says.

"No, I simply have beaten you every time and am ready for a higher level opponent. You pose no challenge to me," I say.

Roman scowls and we continue eating.

---

The day passes faster than I expected. Roman and Patton have a pillow fight behind me as I look out the window. I still like the view.

I never realized how cold I am when I go to bed. When I was with Virgil I was so much warmer. I felt so much more... relaxed? Like I didn't have to focus on every detail of my life or go through my schedules and homework and every task that I haven't completed.

I want that feeling again.

---

It's been a day. We've only been back in class for two days now and I'm starting to get stressed out and tired. It's mostly ability training that brings me ease, but I've been moved up to all other advanced courses. So now I only share abilities class with everyone, science with Virgil and Janus, and art with Roman.

I pull out my homework. It's math. More specifically, calculus. 

As I am trying to work on it, I keep getting interrupted. Maybe I'm not the problem here, my surroundings are.

"Logannnnnnnnn I'm hungryyyyyyy! Can we go to dinner?" Patton whines.

"You can, I'm busy," I say, turning back to my homework.

"No. You're coming with. And we don't even have that much homework, it's, like, the second day back!" Patton says, tugging at my arm.

I sigh and get up. We're about to step out of the dorm when Patton nearly crashes into Remy. Nearly. I pull him back.

"Hold on a sec, babes. I need to talk to Lo real quick," Remy says.

Patton nods and I step back into the dorm. What does he want this time?

"Ok, Logan," Remy says, crossing his arms, "Break my little bro's heart and I make sure you always wake up in the middle of the night desperate for water,"

"What? Who?" I ask.

"Virgil. He told me about the kiss. Now, hurt him and I hurt you," Remy says, "He's been through too much as it is,"

I nod.

"I see. I promise I won't intentionally hurt him," I say.

"Good. And if you don't, I should warn you, Remus has plenty of ideas of punishment," he says.

I think back to those recordings near Halloween. I feel a small bit of fear, but I take a deeper breath and push it away.

"I understand," I say.

Remy smiles and takes a sip of his coffee.

"Good. Now I am going to go over to my boyfriend, who I love, cherish, and would never dream of hurting," he says, walking away.

I wait until he's down the stairs before I leave the dorm. Remy mildly scares me, but only when he seems to be protective. 

I go down to the cafeteria, grab some food, and sit down next to Patton and Roman. I can't help but keep looking at Virgil from a few tables down.

"Hi, kiddo! How're you feeling?" Patton asks.

"The same as I was a half-hour ago; satisfactory," I say.

Patton nods.

"Ok! Just making sure!" he says.

"We have rehearsal tonight, and we're gonna start working on special effects," Roman says.

"And?" I ask.

"Nothing, just telling you that Pat and I will be gone tonight. But Remy's probably gonna babysit you," Roman says.

"What? Why? I'm sixteen! I don't need a babysitter," I say.

Roman snorts.

"You sound like V- Vick. My old boyfriend," he says.

I look at him. Patton has a forced smile, but it does seem more genuine towards Roman.

"....Ok?" I ask.

I finish my food and quickly excuse myself. I believe the right term for that interaction is 'full of awkward vibes'.

Brotherly Remy. Because yes. Anywayyyy- I'm gonna try and have a plan but my brain is fried at the moment. So I hope you enjoyed reading, feel free to leave any thoughts or feedback in the comments, and have a fantastic day/night you magnificent peep!