Chapter 9

Early chapter. I have decided to just update this book when ever. Enjoy

Word count: 1102

A few days later

Harpers POV

Today I went to the foster home. I still wasn't sure what that was but I figured it wasn't good from how everyone was acting. Tony was always holding me, which I enjoyed, Steve looked sadly at me. Natasha and Clint couldn't look at me even though it was clear they wanted to and Bruce gave me small hugs every now and then.

When Tony woke me up and took me to get breakfast. I forgot about what was going to happen later that day. Everything was packed up and in big boxes and a few suitcases sat by the elevator. Tony placed me on a kitchen stool and sat down next to me while Steve put a bowl in front of me. I was handed a spoon and Tony watched as I ate the cereal. 

Time passed quite quickly as everyone got ready for the day and soon I was in the car on the way to the placed the call 'a foster home'. I was very scared and held as tightly as I could to Tony's side. Tony put his hand on my back and held me close but refused to look me in the eye.

I looked at all the Avengers faces and they all had the same expression. Sadness with a hit of fear. Natasha and Clint were sitting together and hold each other's hands but were trying to hide it. A single tear fell from Natasha's eye and ran down her face. It landed on her lap and seemed to disappear as it hit her leggings.

I grabbed the arrow necklace they had given me and felt the gems that where in it. I ran my hands over it and knew I had to keep it close to me at all times.

Time Jump

Tony carried me up to the steps of the grand building that looked so out of place. It's dark bricks made the white doors and window frames stand out. I fussed in Tony's arms as he pulled on the big brace knocker. He let it go and a soft 'bang' came from it as it made contact with the dark wooden door.

"Tony?" I asked him and he looked at me with a sad expression on his face.

The door flung open and a big bearded man stood in front of us. If he didn't have a massive smile on his face I would have thought he was dangerous. I hid half my face from the strange man.

The man went to touch my arm in a friendly gesture but Tony moved me away from the man's touch. Tony knew I didn't want to be here and niether of us trusted this man just yet. He invited us inside to talk. 

"Nice to met you Harper," was the first thing that was said to me once we stepped inside the bearded man's office. "I'm Terry," he said and I nodded, unknowing to the fact that Tony was holding me tighter than before.

They talked for ages but I suddenly became very interested in the things on Terry's desk. He had lots of objects on his desk which looked more like random clutter. He had a photo frame on his desk which had clearly been dusted and looked after for many years.

I turned to him and he smiled like he had before. "Would you like to look around?" He asked and Tony answered yes for us. As we left the office I saw Nat, Clint, Steve and Bruce standing outside leaning on the car. Steve saw how distressed Tony and I, manly Tony, looked so he came over to us. He wrapped his arm around Tony, kissed his cheek lovingly, and then we continued following Terry around the building.

Tony's POV

"This is the common room, we often do fun activities together..." Terry showed us a massive room that had a few tables in the middle. The outer walls of the room had storage boxes full of games and other activities. A few kids were putting puzzles away. "...the backyard is nice and big for different sports and we have a very nice park a block away..." He continued and I knew this would be an amazing place for little Harper to grew up. Two boys and three girls stood outside and were playing football together.

(soccer to some poeole. There are using a ⚽ not a 🏈)

"This is the kitchen where we often make dinner together for everyone..." He said and I saw a few kids rolling out cookie dough. "We leave Saturday mornings to clean the bedrooms and the other common areas. Friday nights is movie night and we take turns picking movies. The bedrooms are upstairs of you want to see them," Terry said. He was being very polite over this sensitive situation.

I stumbled over my words. "No, Um No, I believe this place is perfect for Harper." I said and mustered up a weak smile. I had to many questions and concerns but they were all answered by Terry as we went along. I knew Harper would be happy here but I didn't want to let her go.

"There is a school a few blocks away and many cafes were she can get a job when she's older. If that's something she wants to do in the future." He said seeming to sense some of my questions.

Steve saw my struggle with words and took control. "This place is perfect. Should we sign something?" He asked getting straight to the point. Terry took us back to his office and slid the proper paper work over the desk to us.

After much hesitation Steve and I both signed the paperwork. Harpers belongings were moved into one of the spare rooms and I sat down on her bed. She looked up at me with her big confused eyes and a sad expression.

"I'm sorry Harper but this is for the best." I said and one by one the other Avengers came into her room to say good bye. Nat and Clint seemed the most upset about it, besides me, but they hid it well.

"Time to let go Tony," Steve said and slowly managed to pry Harper out of my arms. He placed her on the bed and after I said goodbye he took me to the car. We stood there a while but soon drove off and back to the tower.

I discreetly let a few years fall down my face.

Published: 17th January 2021