Stefan - sick at school (part 2)

Elena walked into the house first and noticed that Stefan was still standing outside. He was paler now and he seemed like he was sweating a little.

"What are you doing, Stefan? Come on in."

Stefan stepped inside with his eyes pinned to the ground.

"Go up the stairs and into the first room. I'll be there in a second."

Stefan obeyed and went to Elena's room. It was a long time since he had been in a teenage girl room. In any room beside his own actually. He felt it all now. The hunger, which had only been growing worse since he threw up. He could smell Elena's blood downstairs and he desperately tried to keep it all under control.

"I've got you something," she said and he looked at her. She had a mug in her hand and a thermometer in the other. He smiled a little although he had never felt this edgy.

"I'm afraid that I don't know how that device works," he said nodding to the thermometer. It had been a long while since the last time he was sick, and temperatures wasn't usually a big deal. Elena seemed confused but giggled a little.

"That must mean that you don't get sick very often." She said. "So basically it will just rest under your tongue until it beeps. Here. Let me help you."

Elena helped Stefan with the thermometer and they sat in silence for a while, while they waited for the beep. When it finally came, Elena read the result out loud.

"102 degrees. That's not that bad." She said. Then she handed Stefan the mug with tea and told him to drink up. She watched him as he did.

"Try to get some rest now. I'll come check on you later." Elena smiled but Stefan made no move to lay down on the bed.

"Stefan, I'm serious. Go to sleep."

"I shouldn't sleep in your bed. That's invasion of privacy." Stefan mumbled. Elena shook her head.

"I don't mind. I will change the sheets afterwards or something. I just want you to get better."

Stefan didn't want to argue with her anymore, so he reluctantly laid down. She nodded, smiled and left the room. Stefan texted Zach. He rarely asked for help but he needed an excuse to leave. He was afraid that he would hurt Elena. He told Zach to come to Elena's house and tell her that he was there to pick Stefan up. Stefan was tired though and he didn't stay awake for long enough to see what Zach answered.

Zach was there within long and he rang the doorbell. Elena opened the door and looked at him in confusion.

"Hi," He said. "I'm Zach. Stefan's uncle. I'm here to pick him up."

Elena nodded.

"Sure, okay. He's sleeping I think, so I'm just gonna go wake him up." She went upstairs and into her bedroom. Stefan was indeed sleeping but he was shivering and whimpering and he was warmer than earlier.

"Stefan?" She asked and shook him gently. He whimpered and tossed on the bed. Elena ran downstairs to Zach.

"You gotta help me with him. I think he's in a lot of pain." She said with worry. As much as Zach hated vampires and didn't want to help, he had to so that Stefan could keep his secret. So he followed Elena to her bedroom, where he saw Stefan.

He didn't know what it was, but something in him made him soft. Maybe it was just sympathy. Maybe it was because Stefan was family and somehow family meant a lot to Salvatores. Or maybe it was just because Stefan after all was just a 17 year old kid, and that Zach was in that way older.

He rushed to the side of the bed and placed a hand on Stefan's cheek.

"Stefan. Can you hear me? I need you to open your eyes!" Stefan didn't respond.

"I- I should call an ambulance," Elena said but Zach shook his head.

"No wait." He looked at Stefan's face. He slid an arm under his back and the other under his knees and then picked him up.

"Sir, he needs help! He's unconscious!"

Zach looked at Elena.

"I need something sharp," He said and Elena rushed downstairs to find a knife. She came back upstairs.

"I need you to swear to secrecy." Zach said and looked at her.

"What?!"

"Swear that you will keep his secret!" Zach yelled.

"Okay! Okay! I will. I swear!"

Zach sat on the ground and placed Stefan in his lap so the teenager's head rested against his chest. He grabbed the knife and made a small cut in his finger. Then he opened Stefan's mouth and pressed the finger inside.

Both Elena and Zach looked at Stefan in silence, watching as Stefan sucked the finger. The black veins started to appear under Stefan's eyes and his head fell back revealing his fangs. Elena gasped.

"He's a vampire, Elena." Zach said. "But don't forget that he is still just a boy. That he have been a boy for a long time and that he's fragile and all alone in the world."

"But- Wha- How? I mean... I am so confused. I have so many questions. Are you.."

"No. I am not. He has been alive for longer than me, but I am his family. I am human and ageing. And so I claim to be his uncle and he claims to be my nephew."

Stefan whimpered and leaned into Zach's warmth. Zach looked at Elena.

"I'm sure he will give you all the answers you want, but he is in a rough shape right now and I need to take him home."

And then they were both gone.